Lomachenko 'can't wait' for London showdown with Campbell

By Sports Desk August 30, 2019

Vasyl Lomachenko insists he is "feeling great" heading into his clash with Luke Campbell in London.

The 31-year-old Ukrainian maestro will put his WBA and WBO lightweight belts on the line at The O2, with the winner also picking up the vacant WBC title.

There is sure to be fervent support for British fighter Campbell inside the arena, but Lomachenko does not expect the partisan nature of the crowd to have a bearing on the outcome.

"I'm feeling great and I can't wait to come to the ring," Lomachenko told Sky Sports.

On the eve of the fight, Lomachenko was not open to discussing tactics, saying only: "My game plan is to win this fight."

And after reacquainting himself with London, where he won an Olympic gold in 2012, Lomachenko feels increasingly comfortable in his surroundings.

His 14-fight professional career has been largely concentrated in the United States, where he has established a home, but the one-time all-conquering amateur feels sure he can tame Campbell.

"Now I feel like maybe I am at home here, like in the Ukraine. A lot of people have come out to support me," Lomachenko said.

Lomachenko and Campbell weighed in at Spitalfields Market in east London on Friday.

The Briton is the taller man by several inches but Lomachenko, staring up at Campbell, was far from intimidated as the pair locked eyes in a tense pre-fight head-to-head meeting for the cameras.

At 9st 8lbs 8oz, Lomachenko weighed in as the slightly heavier of the two.

Campbell, a bantamweight gold medallist at London 2012 who registered 9st 8lbs 4oz on the scales, has 20 wins from 22 professional bouts and has fought three times previously at Saturday's venue.

"I feel great," said Campbell, also 31. "This is what I live for and I'm ready. "I don't know how he's been, I'm just concentrated on myself. We've been very relaxed and confident.

"This is where I want to be. This is the stage I love, and you'll see the best of me come tomorrow night."

Related items

  • Beterbiev wins lineal, IBF and WBC light heavyweight titles Beterbiev wins lineal, IBF and WBC light heavyweight titles

    Artur Beterbiev stopped Oleksandr Gvozdyk to become the IBF, WBC and lineal light heavyweight champion.

    Beterbiev recorded three knock downs in round 10 after a competitive fight in Philadelphia between the two undefeated title holders.

    The pair traded heavy punches from the start with the Russian gradually wearing down Gvozdyk to record a 15th knockout in as many fights.

    Gvozdyk was ahead on two of the three cards when the fight was stopped but Beterbiev landed the harder blows when it counted and is now motivated to win even more titles.

    "This moment was my most important fight," Beterbiev said.

    "I had big work to prepare for this fight. I was happy to end it.

    "When I got this second belt, I got motivation. I was training so-so before, but from now on I was training very hard."

  • Four deaths in six months - Is enough being done to protect boxers inside the ring? Four deaths in six months - Is enough being done to protect boxers inside the ring?

    Boxing has been rocked by a number of deaths in the last few months, begging the question, is enough being done to protect the boxers. The Zone Blitz team asks the question.

  • Spence charged with drink-driving, released from hospital after Dallas crash Spence charged with drink-driving, released from hospital after Dallas crash

    Welterweight world champion Errol Spence has been released from hospital and given a DWI (driving while intoxicated) charge, Dallas Police has confirmed.

    IBF and WBC title-holder Spence was injured in the early hours of last Thursday and taken to an intensive-care unit after the Ferrari he was driving flipped multiple times.

    The 29-year-old, who was not wearing a seatbelt at the time of the incident, has been released from hospital but will face a drink-driving charge.

    "Errol Spence Jr was charged with DWI, misdemeanour B," a statement from the police read.

    "Mr Spence has been released from the hospital and will need to address those charges.

    "As for getting a speed of the vehicle, we will not be getting one. It was a single car accident with no other criminal charges. Therefore, [there is] no reason to get a warrant to pull the CDR (black box) of the vehicle."

    Spence in September defeated fellow American Shawn Porter in a welterweight unification bout, improving his record to 26-0.

© 2018 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.