UFC

UFC 242: Khabib's 'got problems' if Poirier repeats Holloway display - Bisping

By Sports Desk September 06, 2019

Khabib Nurmagomedov will be in for a tough lightweight title defence at UFC 242 if Dustin Poirier can produce a repeat of his display against Max Holloway, says Michael Bisping.

Poirier claimed a unanimous-decision victory over Holloway to claim the interim lightweight title at UFC 236 and earn a shot at Khabib, who will make his return to the octagon following a suspension for his part in the brawl that followed his triumph over Conor McGregor in October 2018.

The formidable Nurmagomedov is undefeated in 27 mixed martial arts bouts but former UFC middleweight champion Bisping feels Poirier could pull off an upset in Abu Dhabi if he is able to keep the fight off the canvas.

"He'll fight the way he always fights – a very wrestling-heavy game plan," Bisping told Omnisport of his expectations for Khabib when promoting his book 'Quitters Never Win'.

"He's probably not going to try to stand with Dustin Poirier, that's not his thing, that's not what he does. He's going to try to take him down.

"Dustin looked tremendous against Max Holloway, I thought he looked the best ever. I actually thought Max would beat Dustin in that fight and Dustin went out there and looked tremendous, his boxing was incredible, conditioning, everything – it was a beautiful performance.

"If that match shows up to fight Khabib, Khabib's got problems. The problem is, can he stop the takedown?

"If he can't stop the takedown, Khabib's on a fast track to victory. I think that's where the fight is going to be won and lost. Can Khabib take him down and can he hold him down?"

Bisping does not expect Khabib to look for a rematch with McGregor, suggesting the Russian is keen to get away from the pantomime and controversy that overshadowed their previous clash.

"I don't think he wants to fight McGregor again, he's been there and done that," said Bisping.

"Khabib doesn't like the negative attention. Khabib's a great person, he's a devout Muslim, he's off building wells I think in Africa in his spare time and that, he's a great person.

"That whole controversy side of things he doesn't like, he doesn't revel in those moments. That's why at those pressers he just sat there and didn't say very much – McGregor did all the talking.

"I think he's happy to distance himself. But this is a huge fight. It's going to be huge for the brand, for the sport, and for Khabib and Dustin."

 

Quitters never Win by Michael Bisping is out now, published by Ebury Press.

Related items

  • McGregor set for UFC return against Cerrone McGregor set for UFC return against Cerrone

    Conor McGregor's UFC comeback is close to being finalised, with Dana White confirming the Irishman is set to face Donald Cerrone in January.

    McGregor, who has a record of 21-4, has not fought since he was defeated by Khabib Nurmagomedov in a lightweight title fight at UFC 229 in October 2018.

    The defeat was the former champion's only UFC appearance since a November 2016 triumph over Eddie Alvarez, having faced Nate Diaz twice in the same year.

    Now, the 31-year-old is set to return to the Octagon at UFC 246 on January 18 in Las Vegas, with White revealing a non-title welterweight fight with Cerrone – nicknamed 'Cowboy' – has been arranged.

    "Conor has signed and Cowboy is ready to go," White told ESPN on Thursday.

    Cerrone is coming off a knockout defeat to Justin Gaethje in September, and the 36-year-old previously urged McGregor to "sign the deal" which was on offer.

    "I think it's gonna happen this time," Cerrone told TMZ Sports in October. "I really do. Conor's really serious about making a comeback.

    "Both teams have reached out and are trying to figure it out, it's looking good though. This would be a huge fight, I don't understand why his team wouldn't want to be engaged.

    "It's gonna be a fun fight! He's a great fighter. I'm not taking anything away from him by any means, he's got a lot of punching power and it should be a good time.

    "Sign the damn deal, man, let's get this done!"

  • Conor McGregor challenged by Jorge Masvidal - put your money where your mouth is! Conor McGregor challenged by Jorge Masvidal - put your money where your mouth is!

    Conor McGregor has been challenged to put his "money where his mouth is" by Jorge Masvidal, who is keen to mix it with the big-talking Irishman.

    Former two-weight UFC champion McGregor is reported to be making a comeback to the Octagon in January and his manager last month said he hopes to conclude a deal for a bout with Donald Cerrone.

    However, an ESPN tweet posted on Friday displayed a graphic showing potential opponents for McGregor and Masvidal in 2020, which prompted a reply from the former saying: "I'll go at anyone on that list".

    Masvidal could not pass up the opportunity to have a say of his own, writing to McGregor: "Put your money where your mouth is I'm the only 1."

    The 35-year-old Masvidal has seen his stock rise during a fine 2019 that started with a second-round knockout of Darren Till prior to a stunning five-second triumph over Ben Askren.

    Earlier this month, Masvidal earned a controversial stoppage over Nate Diaz.

    McGregor last fought in UFC 13 months ago, in a now infamous lightweight defeat to Khabib Nurmagomedov.

  • Mayweather coming out of retirement, promises 'spectacular event' Mayweather coming out of retirement, promises 'spectacular event'

    Floyd Mayweather Jr has announced he is coming of retirement in 2020 and will work with UFC president Dana White to deliver a "spectacular event".

    The unbeaten five-weight world champion boxer caused a stir when he returned to the ring in 2017 to take on UFC star Conor McGregor in a blockbuster super welterweight bout in Las Vegas.

    Having won that fight, Mayweather hung up his gloves once more – but the 42-year-old appears set for another comeback, if his Instagram posts are anything to go by.

    In one post, Mayweather wrote alongside a picture of himself in boxing shorts with his hands taped: "Coming out of retirement in 2020."

    In another, next to an image of him sitting with White, he added: "@danawhite and I working together again to bring the world another spectacular event in 2020."

    Mayweather included 'boxing', 'UFC' and 'MMA' in his list of accompanying hashtags.

    Although Mayweather has previously dismissed the idea of adding to his tally of 50 professional boxing fights, he has expressed a willingness to participate in money-spinning exhibition matches.

© 2018 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.