Until the beef is 100 per cent cooked, don't take it out of the oven - Joshua to be patient in Ruiz rematch

By Sports Desk September 06, 2019

Anthony Joshua insists he will not make the same "little mistake" against Andy Ruiz Jr a second time around after a lack of patience cost him his heavyweight titles.

Ruiz stunned the boxing world back in June when he stopped overwhelming favourite Joshua at Madison Square Garden in New York, in the process securing the IBF, WBA and WBO belts.

However, the beaten Briton believes the outcome would have been different had he shown a greater degree of patience after dropping his rival in the third round.

In his haste to get the job done, Joshua was caught himself and sent to the canvas. He was knocked down again before the end of the third and, having never fully regained his composure, eventually stopped in the seventh.

The two will do it all over again on December 7 in Saudi Arabia, though the hungry challenger intends to make sure history is not repeated.

"There's no need to rush. Until the beef is 100 per cent cooked, don't take it out of the oven," Joshua told Sky Sports.

"I went to take it out of the oven and got burned. I've got to wait a little more, wait until it's ready and then I'm going to go in for the kill.

"In the last fight it wasn't ready yet, I should have left it in there a little longer.

"It was a little mistake on my part – the good thing is I've got a chance to do it again."

Both fighters were in London on Friday for the finale of a three-day press tour that had already included stops in Saudi Arabia and New York.

Speaking on home soil, Joshua revealed his determination to overcome what he described as a "blip" in the first meeting, with the focus quickly switching to training now media duties are over.

"It becomes fun when you're winning. Now I've taken my loss and am fighting for the championship belts," Joshua said.

"I'm not fighting anyone else – I'm fighting the champion, a serious fighter. I've got to focus.  It's a great mindset to have - the minute you lose that, you've got to retire.

"You've got to be hungry. I had a blip – you go again. I'm not shy, no fear. I'm stepping straight back in and looking forward to it.

"To see him [Ruiz] here, seeing the belts and everyone here, it's our last press conference and now we can train, train, train."

Related items

  • American boxer Day in 'extremely critical condition' after suffering brain injury American boxer Day in 'extremely critical condition' after suffering brain injury

    American boxer Patrick Day is in an "extremely critical condition" after suffering a traumatic brain injury in his super welterweight fight with Charles Conwell in Chicago on Saturday.

    Day was rushed to Northwestern Memorial Hospital after he was knocked out by his compatriot in the 10th round of a bout on the undercard for Oleksandr Usyk's heavyweight debut against Chazz Witherspoon.

    The 27-year-old, who was removed from the ring on a stretcher, is in a coma following emergency surgery.

    Day's promoter Lou DiBella tweeted: "Pat Day makes any room he is in a better place. I've never met anyone who's met Patrick and not liked him. Never heard him utter a mean word.

    "Never saw him greet someone without a big smile. Life doesn't seem fair sometimes. Please keep Pat in your prayers, thoughts, and hearts."

    Conwell said after the fight: "I give my blessings and concerns to him and his team. I hope he is okay. I know he is a great person."

    British promoter Eddie Hearn tweeted: "Our thoughts and deepest prayers are with Patrick Day and his family right now.

    "We have been in constant communication with his promoter who will provide further information at the appropriate time. Please keep Pat in your thoughts."

  • Usyk eyes Joshua showdown after victorious heavyweight debut Usyk eyes Joshua showdown after victorious heavyweight debut

    Oleksandr Usyk has designs on facing the winner of Anthony Ruiz Jr and Anthony Joshua's world heavyweight title rematch.

    The former undisputed cruiserweight king made his long-awaited debut in boxing's blue-riband division on Saturday, claiming a comfortable win over late replacement Chazz Witherspoon in Chicago – the veteran American pulled out by his corner at the end of round seven.

    And Usyk is in a hurry for a shot at becoming a two-weight world champion

    "It’s not a question for me, it’s a question for Eddie [Hearn, his promoter], whatever he can bring to me," Usyk told a post-fight news conference when asked who he wants to fight next.

    "But if it were up to me, I probably will pick up the winner of Joshua–Ruiz."

    Asked which of the two he would prefer to box, Usyk replied: "I think Joshua."

    Joshua – like Usyk a London 2012 Olympic gold medallist – lost his IBF, WBA and WBO titles to Ruiz in a stunning upset defeat earlier this year, with the pair set to square off again in Saudi Arabia in December.

    Usyk has been installed as the mandatory challenger for the WBO belt and has no doubts over his capabilities despite limited exposure against the big men.

    "I will be getting ready [for the winner of Ruiz v Joshua]. Now I am ready," he told iFL TV.

    Hearn is confident he will deliver a title shot for Usyk next, while acknowledging that fight could be for the vacant WBO belt if the Ruiz-Joshua winner chooses to go down a route other than taking on the mercurial Ukrainian.

    "You've got to understand, Usyk's next fight is for the heavyweight title," Hearn said to iFL TV.

    "It's dangerous for everybody, but isn't that what you want? He won't not let it happen.

    "He will fight for the world heavyweight title next, I don't know who that's against but he's in that position.

    "He's mandatory challenger for the world heavyweight title. He's not going to let that slip, he's not going to pass on it."

    WBC champion Deontay Wilder, who is preparing for his own rematch against Luis Ortiz at the end of next month before another proposed return contest with Tyson Fury, dismissed Usyk as being "too small" to make an impression on the heavyweight division.

    "Bring Wilder here," Usyk added. "I will fight him here [in the United States], no problem. He would never come to Ukraine."

  • Usyk makes successful heavyweight debut with TKO win Usyk makes successful heavyweight debut with TKO win

    Oleksandr Usyk started life in the heavyweight division with a seventh-round stoppage of Chazz Witherspoon.

    Former undisputed cruiserweight world champion Usyk was making his heavyweight debut in Chicago on Saturday, having made the step up.

    Usyk (17-0) was a class above as the Ukrainian forced an exhausted Witherspoon to retire following the seventh round at Wintrust Arena.

    Witherspoon was the opponent for Usyk in his first heavyweight fight after replacing Tyrone Spong (14-0) – who was denied a boxing license by the Illinois State Athletic Commission after there were adverse findings in two of his urine tests.

    But American Witherspoon (38-4) – the second cousin of former champion Tim – was no match for Usyk as the 2012 Olympic Games gold medallist dominated throughout.

    "I was waiting for this moment," Usyk said afterwards. "We had some little difficulties because we have to change opponents.

    "I didn't show it to anybody, but I had some bad thoughts float into my head. I just prayed a little bit, I asked Him to help me and it looks like he helped me."

    Usyk added: "I did what my trainer told me to do. I just followed orders. We had a plan and the plan was to box and I did box. If there was an opportunity, I would use that opportunity."

    It was Usyk's first bout in almost a year following the 32-year-old's victory over Tony Bellew at cruiserweight in November 2018.

    "There is a little bit of difference, but I used to fight as a heavyweight [as an amateur]. But yes, it was different," Usyk said.

    "I am ready, I am ready to fight whoever. If they give me the mandatory [title shot] then of course I am ready to take it."

© 2018 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.