UFC

McGregor wants Khabib rematch in Moscow

By Sports Desk September 08, 2019

Conor McGregor wants a rematch against Khabib Nurmagomedov in Moscow, but the UFC lightweight champion was only thinking about planning his next meal after defeating Dustin Poirier.

In his first outing since a win against McGregor in October 2018 that was overshadowed by an ugly post-fight brawl, Nurmagomedov moved to 28-0 by submitting Poirier in the third round at UFC 242.

The Irishman has since claimed to have retired following the loss last year, but he was quick to request another shot at the Russian following Saturday's result in Abu Dhabi.

McGregor tweeted: "Book my rematch for Moscow."

However, UFC president Dana White stated that Tony Ferguson is next in line for Nurmagomedov, though McGregor offers a logical back-up option.

"Tony Ferguson gets the next shot and obviously if for whatever reason Tony can't take the fight or doesn't want the fight at that time, then we would figure out what would be next," said White.

"But yeah, Conor would make a lot of sense. Conor McGregor wants that fight really badly and I'm sure the fans would want to see it. So we'll see how this whole thing plays out."

Nurmagomedov was keen to avoid becoming embroiled in such discussions, with his focus set on his post-fight meal.

"You know what's interesting in this sport; even if you're 28-0 in MMA, 12-0 in UFC, you're one of the biggest stars, you smash everybody, people talk about how you have to fight with him, you have to fight with him, you have to fight with him. Just give me respect," he said.

"My next opponent is a very good steak, with a burger and double cheese. I want this. With some juice with ice. I want to enjoy it. Give me a couple of days please."

But when the subject turned to former two-weight world champion Georges St-Pierre, widely considered the greatest MMA fighter of all time but retired since February, Nurmagomedov could not hide his interest.

He said: "Georges St-Pierre is a great guy, great champion, great athlete – he's a very good example for young kids. I know he's retired but if he wants to come back, if he feels hungry, if he feels he can improve his legacy with a fight with me and he can make 155 [pounds], I'm waiting for him."

Nurmagomedov ruled out an imminent change in division, though acknowledged a step up to welterweight could come in the future, while also expressing a desire to raise money with a charity fight in Africa.

"If the UFC have a big, big fight, they can build an arena somewhere like Congo, Nigeria, Somalia or Sudan, whatever. Fight there, make money and do some charity stuff," he said.

"Africa is in a very bad situation with a lot of people dying because they don't have drinking water. We can do this, let's go. If UFC support it, I'm going to support it too.

"Maybe I can fight with Georges St-Pierre. Georges St-Pierre is a very big star. They can build an arena in three months and maybe in January, February or March we can fight in somewhere like Congo, why not?

"And all the money we make we can use on charity, on Africa or somewhere. Maybe they can make $50 million, maybe 40m, even if they make 30m for one night and give all this money for people – I like this kind of stuff."

Related items

  • McGregor set for UFC return against Cerrone McGregor set for UFC return against Cerrone

    Conor McGregor's UFC comeback is close to being finalised, with Dana White confirming the Irishman is set to face Donald Cerrone in January.

    McGregor, who has a record of 21-4, has not fought since he was defeated by Khabib Nurmagomedov in a lightweight title fight at UFC 229 in October 2018.

    The defeat was the former champion's only UFC appearance since a November 2016 triumph over Eddie Alvarez, having faced Nate Diaz twice in the same year.

    Now, the 31-year-old is set to return to the Octagon at UFC 246 on January 18 in Las Vegas, with White revealing a non-title welterweight fight with Cerrone – nicknamed 'Cowboy' – has been arranged.

    "Conor has signed and Cowboy is ready to go," White told ESPN on Thursday.

    Cerrone is coming off a knockout defeat to Justin Gaethje in September, and the 36-year-old previously urged McGregor to "sign the deal" which was on offer.

    "I think it's gonna happen this time," Cerrone told TMZ Sports in October. "I really do. Conor's really serious about making a comeback.

    "Both teams have reached out and are trying to figure it out, it's looking good though. This would be a huge fight, I don't understand why his team wouldn't want to be engaged.

    "It's gonna be a fun fight! He's a great fighter. I'm not taking anything away from him by any means, he's got a lot of punching power and it should be a good time.

    "Sign the damn deal, man, let's get this done!"

  • Conor McGregor challenged by Jorge Masvidal - put your money where your mouth is! Conor McGregor challenged by Jorge Masvidal - put your money where your mouth is!

    Conor McGregor has been challenged to put his "money where his mouth is" by Jorge Masvidal, who is keen to mix it with the big-talking Irishman.

    Former two-weight UFC champion McGregor is reported to be making a comeback to the Octagon in January and his manager last month said he hopes to conclude a deal for a bout with Donald Cerrone.

    However, an ESPN tweet posted on Friday displayed a graphic showing potential opponents for McGregor and Masvidal in 2020, which prompted a reply from the former saying: "I'll go at anyone on that list".

    Masvidal could not pass up the opportunity to have a say of his own, writing to McGregor: "Put your money where your mouth is I'm the only 1."

    The 35-year-old Masvidal has seen his stock rise during a fine 2019 that started with a second-round knockout of Darren Till prior to a stunning five-second triumph over Ben Askren.

    Earlier this month, Masvidal earned a controversial stoppage over Nate Diaz.

    McGregor last fought in UFC 13 months ago, in a now infamous lightweight defeat to Khabib Nurmagomedov.

  • Mayweather coming out of retirement, promises 'spectacular event' Mayweather coming out of retirement, promises 'spectacular event'

    Floyd Mayweather Jr has announced he is coming of retirement in 2020 and will work with UFC president Dana White to deliver a "spectacular event".

    The unbeaten five-weight world champion boxer caused a stir when he returned to the ring in 2017 to take on UFC star Conor McGregor in a blockbuster super welterweight bout in Las Vegas.

    Having won that fight, Mayweather hung up his gloves once more – but the 42-year-old appears set for another comeback, if his Instagram posts are anything to go by.

    In one post, Mayweather wrote alongside a picture of himself in boxing shorts with his hands taped: "Coming out of retirement in 2020."

    In another, next to an image of him sitting with White, he added: "@danawhite and I working together again to bring the world another spectacular event in 2020."

    Mayweather included 'boxing', 'UFC' and 'MMA' in his list of accompanying hashtags.

    Although Mayweather has previously dismissed the idea of adding to his tally of 50 professional boxing fights, he has expressed a willingness to participate in money-spinning exhibition matches.

© 2018 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.