UFC

UFC 243: If I could sing, Justin Bieber wouldn't have a job! Adesanya revels in Whittaker win

By Sports Desk October 06, 2019

Israel Adesanya declared "there is no one like me" and said if he could sing even Justin Bieber would not have a job after dethroning middleweight champion Robert Whittaker in front of a record-breaking Melbourne crowd at UFC 243.

Interim champion Adesanya scored a stunning second-round knockout at Marvel Stadium, where 57,127 fans were in attendance, to become the undisputed champion in the division.

Australian Whittaker had already been floored by a huge right hook late in the first round and a stinging left in the second brought an end to the bout.

Adesanya made a grandstand entrance with a choreographed dance routine and the Nigeria-born New Zealander said his confident arrival was something he had planned to do in the past.

"I tried to do that in the Anderson Silva fight in February and the UFC were like, 'no, we can't have that'," he said.

"This fight is my show. I'm headlining this b****, so I was going to do it my way.

"Who else, on this kind of stage, is going to do that before they go in and whoop some ass? If I could sing, trust me - Justin Bieber wouldn't even have a job." 

Adesanya had no doubts he would pull off the victory, but confessed the gravitas of his achievement was still sinking in.

"It feels like I'm still lucid dreaming," added the 30-year-old. "You might see me do weird things, just to see if I'm dreaming.

"I said it was one my toughest tests, but that I'd make it look easy. I told you guys that.

"When I saw him walk out, he was too intense. You can't fake that s***, pull the hoodie over your eyes.

"I can smell it off him, that he wasn't with it. He was doing the right moves, but there was no feeling behind it.

"I saw everything coming. He hit me a few times, but I just showed that I can take and give it as well."

Whittaker had won his previous nine fights and vowed to rebound from the setback.

"Hats off to Adesanya, a great striker," he said. 

"I felt I was doing pretty well until you get caught. I'm only 28. I've still got a fight or two yet. I'm not going anywhere."

Related items

  • Benzema hits back after FFF chief says Real Madrid striker is finished with France Benzema hits back after FFF chief says Real Madrid striker is finished with France

    Karim Benzema has told French football chief Noel Le Graet to stop interfering after claiming the Real Madrid striker would never play for his country again.

    The 31-year-old last turned out for Les Bleus in a 4-0 win over Armenia in October 2015, since when he has been conspicuous by his absence from every squad selected.

    Despite being a talisman for one of the biggest clubs in world football, the door appears closed to Benzema when it comes to Didier Deschamps' France team.

    Since 2015, Benzema has strenuously denied any wrongdoing in an alleged attempt to blackmail former France team-mate Mathieu Valbuena over a sex tape.

    He has not played for France since the allegations were made, and that appears unlikely to change whatever the circumstances after Le Graet this week vowed a Benzema recall was out of the question.

    Le Graet spoke out days after Real Madrid's French boss Zinedine Zidane said Benzema should "definitely" be recalled by Deschamps.

    "Karim Benzema is a very good player, I've never doubted his qualities," French Football Federation president Le Graet told RMC Sport. "On the contrary, he shows with Real Madrid that he is one of the best players in his position. But the adventure with France is finished."

    That prompted a seething response from Benzema, who wrote on Twitter: "Noel I thought that you wouldn't interfere in the coach's decisions!

    "[You should] know that it's me and me alone who will put an end to my international career.

    "If you think I'm finished, let me play for one of the countries for which I'm eligible and we'll see."

    Benzema, who comes from Algerian heritage, scored 27 goals in 81 appearances for France before being sidelined from the national team.

    With Real Madrid he has won a host of trophies, including the Champions League on four occasions, and with nine goals this season he is LaLiga's top scorer.

    World champions France play Albania on Sunday in their final Euro 2020 qualifier, already assured of a place at next year's finals.

  • Rossi inspired by Cazorla as former Villarreal star targets return to elite football Rossi inspired by Cazorla as former Villarreal star targets return to elite football

    Giuseppe Rossi has hailed Santi Cazorla as an "inspiration" as the former Villarreal and Manchester United striker targets a return to elite-level football.

    Rossi, 32, is back training with his old club Villarreal six years after leaving Spain to join Serie A side Fiorentina.

    The 30-cap Italy international has been a free agent since he left Genoa at the end of 2017-18, having escaped a ban after testing positive for dorzolamide - a banned substance commonly found in eye drops that Rossi and his legal team insisted was consumed accidentally.

    Since then, he has spent time training with United and recently returned to Villarreal to try to build up match fitness, with a view to playing at the highest level again.

    Rossi's career has been blighted by serious knee injuries, but he enjoyed his most productive spell with Villarreal, scoring 82 times to become the club's all-time leading goalscorer.

    Cazorla has enjoyed a renaissance since returning to Villarreal last year after an Achilles infection left him fearing he may never walk again, and Rossi hopes to emulate his former team-mate's comeback.

    "When we were playing years ago, we never thought we would have these situations in our careers. But it happens, it's all part of the sport, right?" Rossi told Omnisport, courtesy of LaLiga.

    "It's how you come back, it's the fight that you put into the recovery, wanting to get back to your levels of before. I've been down, and I came back up; I've been down again, and I've always come back up.

    "It's the same thing with Santi. He's back to playing at these high levels, playing with the national team also, so he's definitely an inspiration to me, also to all the young players and the players that are on this team.

    "It's crazy, the parallels that we have, so of course it's always great to see him back, to see him playing at this level."

    Like Cazorla, Rossi is determined not to allow his football career to be halted early by injuries, even though he has not played a competitive match since May last year.

    "It's a big psychological thing when you get injured," he said. "Are you able to be patient, are you able to learn, are you able to put in the work and the time to get back to certain playing styles and certain levels?

    "Sometimes, it's hard. Sometimes, people give up. We've seen that in the past, not only in football but in other sports. But that's not the case with me. It's something I'll never do. I love this game too much, I work too hard, I've sacrificed too much. I cannot give up on this sport."

    Rossi has been made to feel at home since coming back to Villarreal, saying: "It feels great. It's a place where I grew up as a player; it's a place where I grew up as a man.

    "I had five beautiful years with them, we accomplished a lot together, and it's just great being back here, seeing people and just having fun on the pitch again.

    "Each day, I'm getting more match fit, getting used to the pace. I'm just trying to get fit, trying to show that I'm ready to play at whatever level, and just continue to have fun. I'm still young, I'm still hungry. I've done a lot in this sport and I'm very happy, but I'm still hungry, I still want more. I still want to show that I can come back and play at these levels."

    It remains to be seen whether Rossi will get the chance to play in LaLiga once more, but he still considers Spain's top flight to be the pinnacle.

    "For me, LaLiga is the essence of football," he added. "It's fun watching the technical ability of a player. It's very attacking, there's a lot more space, therefore there's much more excitement in games.

    "Four, five years, ago, they thought LaLiga was only a two-team league. Today, you have six, seven teams all mixed up. It's exciting."

  • Tyson Fury hits back at UFC boss Dana White – I'd smash him for free Tyson Fury hits back at UFC boss Dana White – I'd smash him for free

    Tyson Fury said he would "smash" Dana White after the UFC president advised the former unified heavyweight champion not to consider moving into mixed martial arts.

    Fury – who is expected to return to the ring in February to face Deontay Wilder in a rematch – has been taking on different sports over recent months.

    Having appeared in WWE to wrestle Braun Strowman, Fury has also trained alongside UFC middleweight Darren Till.

    The 31-year-old claimed to have spoken with Conor McGregor about training together, though White stated his belief Fury should stick to boxing.

    "If Tyson Fury wants to fight in MMA, I've got a tonne of guys that would love to fight him," White told TMZ Sports.

    "I just don’t know why. I can't wrap my head around why. Tyson Fury is a very marketable heavyweight, I believe he's one of the best in the world, he's an incredible fighter, and promoted the right way could be part of the three of four biggest fights in heavyweight history.

    "So why come over here and get smashed when you can stay there? Tyson Fury your time is now. You’re the man in boxing. You’re one of the top four guys in the world in boxing. Why even think about coming over here?"

    However, Fury, who acknowledged he only heard about White's comments through his father, dismissed White's claims.

    "I didn’t see them, but my dad saw them and my dad's calling him out for it," Fury told iFL TV at his book signing in London on Wednesday.

    "I'd smash him for free, so I'm not bothered. Listen, everyone's got their opinion.

    "I've got no interest really, I don't care. I'd probably get smashed in a lot of things, but do I care? No."

    Fury also suggested he and fellow British heavyweight boxer Dillian Whyte should take on two of UFC's best in a tag-team contest, after Stipe Miocic claimed he would relish a fight.

    "I'll fight Stipe and Dillian Whyte can fight Francis Ngannou," Fury said. "I'm sure he’s up for that. Tag team, Britain versus MMA."

© 2018 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.