UFC

Conor McGregor to make UFC return on January 18

By Sports Desk October 24, 2019

Conor McGregor has announced he will make his UFC return against an unconfirmed opponent on January 18.

Former two-weight world champion McGregor told a news conference in Moscow his comeback will take place at T-Mobile Arena in Las Vegas next year.

The 31-year-old has not appeared in the octagon since he was submitted in the fourth round of a lightweight title fight against Khabib Nurmagomedov in October 2018.

The bout was overshadowed by a brawl in the aftermath and both fighters were handed suspensions, with McGregor subsequently claiming he had retired from mixed martial arts.

However, the Irishman will be back in action in three months and has his sights set on a rematch with Nurmagomedov and a trilogy fight with Nate Diaz, against whom he suffered his first UFC defeat in March 2016.

"I wish to compete here in Moscow, Russia. We know that, we know what belt I'm seeking in Mother Russia. The people of Russia deserve this inevitable rematch [against Nurmagomedov] to take place here in Moscow and it will happen," said McGregor.

"However, I'm not waiting around for that man. That man is a known pull-out, a known fearer of risk. He does not take risk so I'm not waiting around. I'd like to announce to the public the return of 'The Notorious' Conor McGregor will take place on January 18 at the T-Mobile Arena in Las Vegas, Nevada.

"That is my comeback fight. It is 12 weeks this Saturday. I am in prime physical condition. I have agreed the date with the company. As far as the opponent, I have the opponent's name, but from experience if I was to give you the name I know the UFC would flip it because they are a crafty company. So ask the UFC who the opponent is, because I do not give a f*** who the opponent is.

"That will be the beginning of my season. I will then look to compete against the winner of Nate Diaz-Jorge Masvidal. Obviously, I have history with Nate Diaz.

"Then I will seek the Moscow bout against the winner of Tony Ferguson and Khabib Nurmagomedov. That is the bout we want. We want it in Moscow.

"It is a rematch I will come in sharp, fresh. I will have no injuries, I will have no alcohol, I will have no outside influences. I will be fully focused ... and we will settle it once and for all."

McGregor added: "I am going to go through the entire roster like a chainsaw through butter. Make no mistake about that."

ESPN reported Donald Cerrone and Justin Gaethje are leading candidates for the January bout.

Related items

  • Klopp in 'competition mood' as he confronts translator at media conference Klopp in 'competition mood' as he confronts translator at media conference

    Jurgen Klopp was in "competition mood" at Monday's media conference ahead of Liverpool's crunch Champions League clash with Salzburg, taking exception to a translator's response in German.

    The Reds require a point from Tuesday's trip to Salzburg to guarantee a place in the last 16 of the Champions League, a competition they won last season.

    Klopp was unhappy with how his compatriot translated Jordan Henderson's answer in front of the assembled media, taking particular issue with the translator's assertion that the Liverpool captain said his team would "go easy in this game".

    Liverpool boss Klopp said: "It's s**t when next to the translator sits a coach who speaks German. The question was if the Champions League title from the last year helps us because we have always delivered in situations like this.

    "He [Henderson] doesn't talk about going easy in this game. We are aware of this challenge. He is speaking about all this normal stuff. You should really listen. Otherwise, I can do it by myself. It's not too difficult."

    Switching to English, he then told the media: "I am in a competition mood already, I can tell you."

    Klopp will surely hope his side show the same fight in Salzburg.

  • It's hard being champion - Joshua knows he will always need to prove himself It's hard being champion - Joshua knows he will always need to prove himself

    Anthony Joshua believes he will always have to prove himself in the heavyweight division, stating it is tough to live life as a champion.

    Joshua regained the IBF, WBA and WBO heavyweight titles on Saturday, as he recorded a comprehensive points victory over Andy Ruiz Jr in a rematch in Saudi Arabia.

    Ruiz stunned Joshua in his initial victory in New York in June, as the Briton fell to the only defeat of his professional career, and the 30-year-old acknowledged he had been drained by the pressure of retaining his title.

    "The belts can be your best friend or your worst enemy," Joshua, who is now expected to face one of his mandatory challengers Kubrat Pulev or Oleksandr Usyk, told reporters.

    "It just depends on you as a person. Even at the weigh-in when I gave him the belts [before the first fight], I was just tired of them. It’s hard being champion. Trust me, it's not all fun.

    "I just remember hearing Mike Tyson telling people 'you couldn't walk in my shoes.' It’s not all what it seems, it's a life of discipline, dedication and f*****g headaches.

    "I'm always going to have to prove myself, aren't I? That’s the name of the game. Over the next three to six months, I'm going to have to do it again.

    "It's no good winning this time and losing next time, saying, 'Look, I won six months ago, let’s look at that.' Even though I've proved it to myself, I'm going to have to prove it to you guys once again. I can't get too comfortable.

    "But I knew the belts were coming home. They spent some time with me and they spent some time in Andy's house, and they were crying to come back to daddy."

    Joshua has reportedly earned over £50million from taking the rematch with Ruiz to Saudi Arabia, though he is hoping to return to Britain for his next fight.

    "I don't know, man. London's calling," Joshua said. "We've been away for the whole year, in New York and now here. But it's nice to have a breather. It’s nice to have a bit of controversy, a bit of doubt.

    "I've been out here for two weeks. I was out for five weeks before [in New York], got too comfortable. Now it's back home to Finchley, back home to Sheffield, back to the grind. Being back on home soil will make a big difference."

  • Du Plessis calls for focus on cricket amid CSA off-field problems Du Plessis calls for focus on cricket amid CSA off-field problems

    Faf du Plessis wants on-field matters to take centre stage for South Africa as they prepare to host England on the back of a tumultuous period.

    Cricket South Africa's CEO Thabang Moroe was suspended as a "precautionary" move on Friday following allegations of misconduct.

    Preparations for the Proteas' four-Test series against England have been hindered by a number of additional issues, including disputes with the South African Cricketers' Association, the loss of a major sponsor, and a ban on five journalists that was swiftly reversed.

    Former captain Graeme Smith is set to be appointed as South Africa's new director of cricket next week and Du Plessis believes attention must turn to the playing XI.

    "Obviously a lot has happened but now it's a new start," the skipper was quoted as saying by ESPNCricinfo.

    "As a board we have noted the apology that has come from the CEO and as a board we endorse that apology." - CSA President, Chris Nenzani on the revocation of accreditation of five members of the media. #CSAMediaBriefing pic.twitter.com/BXSfTCjeJX

    — Cricket South Africa (@OfficialCSA) December 7, 2019

    "There's not much time before the English series so now it's about putting our focus back on to the team, making sure that the Test team gets all the things that are required for us to be successful.

    "It's been a little bit on pause the last two or three weeks, which is already too late, so we need to make sure in the next week things will start unfolding to make sure the Test team gets the most attention. The last two weeks there hasn't been much attention on that so that is what we will try and drive over the next week.

    "Now it's about moving forward. I am a firm believer that it's time for us to look ahead from all this c**p that's been happening behind the scenes. It's about making sure that the players are focused on the cricket side of things. It's about getting focus on what's really important now, which is a Test series against England.

    "There's too much negative stuff that's happened over the last four or five weeks and our cricket is too strong to have so many issues all the time. We are too proud a cricketing nation to be talking about this stuff all the time. The attention needs to be on the cricket and making sure we will build ourselves as a team and ourselves as an organisation to be great again."

    The first Test between South Africa and England begins on December 26 at Centurion.

© 2018 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.