Pettersen gets 'perfect closure' and quits golf after Solheim Cup heroics

By Sports Desk September 15, 2019

Suzann Pettersen announced her retirement from professional golf in the aftermath of her sensational Solheim Cup heroics for Team Europe.

Europe trailed 13.5-11.5 with three points to play for at Gleneagles, knowing the United States needed just a half to clinch a third consecutive title.

But after Anna Nordqvist and Bronte Law made the improbable suddenly very possible, Pettersen defeated Marina Alex 1up with the final putt of the final hole of the tournament.

The Norweigan, who was one of captain Catriona Matthew's picks, having taken time out in 2017 to have a baby, considered the victory the "perfect closure" as she quit the sport.

"I think this is the perfect closure, the end for my Solheim career and for my professional career," the 38-year-old told a news conference. "It doesn't get any better. To do it with these girls...

"I didn't think I was going to be here four months ago until I met [Matthew] this summer.

"But this is it. I'm completely done. I don't have any plans starting from tomorrow. I'm closing it down tomorrow. What can I say? I'm done."

Reflecting on her crowning Solheim moment, two-time major champion Pettersen opted to deflect praise onto her team-mates.

"I just love my team-mates," she said. "If it wasn't for all of these girls, it wouldn't even have mattered with my putt coming at the end.

"It's an absolute team effort that it ended up coming down to 18th, last putt, last shot. It's the ultimate scenario for both teams really."

USA captain Juli Inkster tried to maintain a positive outlook, believing the incredible finish had been a good advert for the sport.

"I told them afterwards, 'The sun's going to come up tomorrow'," she said. "It was great for women's golf.

"We played great, yesterday [Saturday] was a brutal day of golf. Today, the sun came out and we saw a lot of golf. The Europeans played great, you tip your hat and you move on to Toledo [in 2021]."

Related items

  • Thomas wins second CJ Cup title Thomas wins second CJ Cup title

    Justin Thomas claimed his second CJ Cup trophy after reigning supreme in South Korea on Sunday.

    American star Thomas carded a five-under-par 67 in the final round to triumph by two strokes on Jeju Island.

    Playing outside of the United States, where Thomas won the PGA Tour tournament in 2017, the former world number one withstood a duel with runner-up Danny Lee.

    Thomas entered the final day tied for the lead alongside South Korean-born New Zealander Lee (69) at Nine Bridges Golf Club.

    The pair continued to go toe-to-toe during the final 18 holes, sharing the lead down the stretch, but back-to-back bogeys at the 15th and 16th dashed Lee's hopes.

    Thomas birdied three holes on the back nine, capping his triumphant performance with another birdie at the last to finish 20 under for his 11th Tour crown.

    Hideki Matsuyama (65), Gary Woodland (66) and Cameron Smith (69) finished in a share of third position, five shots adrift of Thomas.

    Three-time major champion Jordan Spieth was unable to maintain his charge following a final-round 71.

    Spieth had four bogeys to go with five birdies as he fell four positions into a tie for eighth – eight shots off the pace.

    Meanwhile, American veteran Phil Mickelson (68) ended the event tied for 31st, a shot ahead of former world number one Jason Day (71).

  • Colsaerts takes charge at Le Golf National Colsaerts takes charge at Le Golf National

    Nicolas Colsaerts will take a three-shot lead into the final round of the Open de France after giving himself a golden opportunity to end his title drought on Saturday.

    Colsaerts has not won a European Tour tournament since 2012, but a four-under 67 in his third round put the Belgian 13 under with a nice cushion at Le Golf National.

    The 36-year-old can retain his playing privileges with a victory on Sunday and he enhanced his chances of achieving that on moving day.

    Colsaerts hit the turn in 34 after making back-to-back birdies at the fifth and sixth holes, then made another three gains on the back nine with just one bogey at 17.

    George Coetzee shared the lead with Colsaerts after the second round in Paris, but the South African will start the last round with ground to make up after signing for a one-under 70.

    Coetzee dropped a shot at the second but gained momentum after the turn with three birdies in a row, only for a double bogey at the 13th to halt his charge.

    Jamie Donaldson rose into a share of third place with a brilliant five-under 66, a bogey at 13 the only blemish on the Welshman's card.

    Kurt Kitayama is alongside Donaldson on nine under, while Richie Ramsay, Gavin Moynihan and Joachim B Hansen are a further stroke back.

    Hansen showed great character to recover from a quintuple bogey at 13, birdying the next four holes to move into a share of fifth spot. 

  • Every suspended for rest of 2019 after testing positive for cannabis Every suspended for rest of 2019 after testing positive for cannabis

    Matt Every has been suspended for the remainder of 2019 after testing positive for cannabis.

    The PGA Tour suspended Every for 12 weeks on Friday and the 35-year-old will be eligible to return on January 7, 2020.

    Marijuana was legally prescribed to the American in Florida, where he is based, but it is a banned substance under the Tour's anti-doping policy.

    Every is ranked 256 in the world and won the most recent of his three PGA Tour titles in 2015.

    In a statement released to Golf Channel, Every said: "I tested positive for cannabis, a drug I do not abuse.

    "I have been prescribed cannabis for a mental health condition by my physician whom has managed my medical care for 30 years.

    "It has been determined that I am neither an acceptable candidate to use prescription "Z" class drugs nor benzodiazepines.

    "Additionally, these classes of drugs can be highly addictive and harmful to the human body and mind. For me, cannabis has proven to be, by far, the safest and most effective treatment.

    "With that being said, I have no choice but to accept this suspension and move on.

    "I knew what WADA's policy was and I violated it. I don't agree with it for many reasons, mainly for my overall wellbeing, but I'm excited for what lies ahead in my life and career.

    "Over the last few years I have made massive strides and I know my best is still in front of me. I can't wait to comeback better than ever in January."

© 2018 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.