Sweet revenge as Jamaica defeats South Africa 59-54 in Vitality Nations Cup

By January 19, 2020
Sweet revenge as Jamaica defeats South Africa 59-54 in Vitality Nations Cup skysports

Sunshine Girl vice-captain Nicole Dixon showered praise on head coach Connie Francis following Sunday’s 59-54 win over South Africa in their opening match of the 2020 Vitality Nations Cup.

Playing at the Motorpoint Arena in Nottingham, Jamaica avenged their loss to the South Africans, which prevented Jamaica from advancing to the semi-finals of the Netball World Cup in Liverpool in July 2019.

“Connie Francis is just one of the best. She works hard. She believes in us and she helps us to believe in ourselves. Whatever she sets for the target, and whatever goals she sets for us and we set for ourselves, she is expecting us to go out there and execute and that’s what we did,” Dixon said following the team’s hard-fought victory.

The teams will now move to Birmingham for the second matchday where Jamaica will take on New Zealand and England play South Africa on Wednesday, January 22.

New Zealand opened their campaign with a 64-48 win over hosts England.

Leighton Levy

Leighton Levy is a journalist with 28 years’ experience covering crime, entertainment, and sports. He joined the staff at SportsMax.TV as a content editor two years ago and is enjoying the experience of developing sports content and new ideas. At SportsMax.tv he is pursuing his true passion - sports.

Related items

  • Gayle out again, West Indian talisman undone by Indian greats Gayle out again, West Indian talisman undone by Indian greats

    Christopher Henry Gayle is arguably the greatest One-Day International batsman the West Indies has ever produced but today his innings in the Ultimate XI ODI edition came up short.

    Gayle had, yesterday, avoided the cut and made the final six among contestants vying for the honour of being one of the two best openers the game has ever seen.

    According to the SportsMax panel of experts, Rohit Sharma and Sachin Tendulkar would form the greatest partnership the game to ever grace an ODI cricket pitch.

    That would leave other greats like South Africa’s Hashim Amla, Sri Lankan legend Tillakaratne Dilshan, Pakistan’s Saeed Anwar, and, of course, Gayle as bystanders.

    According to the SportsMax Zone, Sharma and Tendulkar are also the best it could come up with from the shortlist of 12, of course, the Zone did not do the culling of the herd the panel did yesterday.

    For the unitiated, Rohit Sharma has scored as many ODI double hundreds as there are people who have scored them, while Tendulkar is by far and away, the heaviest ODI runscorer in the history of the sport and their picks may be hard to disagree with.

    Unless, of course, you’re a Fanalyst.

    Fanalysts have, so far, chosen Chris Gayle as one of their two openers and have also disagreed with the choice of Tendulkar to be the man to join him, instead going for Sharma.

    Tendulkar, is at this point, the reserve option for the Fanalysts, but that could all change.

    Have your say in the conversation by going to SportsMax.tv and clicking on the banner, or following the link here.

  • ODI innovator Jayasuriya fails to make the Ultimate XI grade ODI innovator Jayasuriya fails to make the Ultimate XI grade

    The Ultimate XI ODI Edition’s discussions have started with a bang, as George Davis of the SportsMax Zone and the selection panel got into it over who should make the final six from the shortlist of openers.

    There wasn’t much opposition as the Panel cut the West Indies’ Desmond Haynes from the shortlist on the first day, neither was there much of a stir when Matthew Hayden, the man who starts as opener in the Ultimate Test XI, was asked to go.

    There were, however, a few ripples when Adam Gilchrist, a man who has three World-Cup-winning innings under his belt, was told he didn’t stack up well enough to make the final six players to be discussed on the Zone today.

    However, major rifts developed when Sanath Jayasuriya did not find favour with two of the three panellists.

    With two-thirds objecting to his appearance in today’s final, Jayasuriya had to go.

    According to the voting so far, the panel, despite George Sylvester Davis’s appeals for a reconsideration, have called it right when it comes to Jayasuriya.

    The Fanalysts don’t seem to think as much of Tillakaratne Dilshan or Hashim Amla as does the panel though, as they have Sourav Ganguly, Gilchrist, Haynes, and Jayasuriya, joining those two in the bottom six. The Fanalysts have also added New Zealand’s Martin Guptill to the list of those they don’t think can make it. Haynes and Gilchrist are in a statistical dead heat for one of the bottom six places.

    Now here’s the truth about Jayasuriya. In partnership with Romesh Kaluwitharana, Jayasuriya is the man that made the massive totals of ODIs today possible. Thumping the ball to all parts of the ground in the first 15 overs, Jayasuriya made the work of his middle-order that much easier, as they could afford to run singles and keep the scoreboard ticking over with the expectation that normal batting would give them big scores.   

    Now, if you believe, like I do, that there are some crazy Fanalysts out there, you can help change the conversation with your vote.

    Fanalysts votes count heavily in deciding who makes the cut as the group holds the largest percentage weight when the votes are tallied.

    The panel’s decision counts for 30 per cent of votes, while the Zone gets another 30. The Fanalysts benefit from a 10 per cent bump, giving you real sway in the conversation.

    To vote for your Ultimate XI go to SportsMax.tv and click on the banner or go straight to this link.

  • Coronavirus: ECB confirm further delay to domestic season Coronavirus: ECB confirm further delay to domestic season

    The England and Wales Cricket Board (ECB) have confirmed there will be no domestic cricket played before August 1 due to coronavirus.

    While England are set to go up against West Indies in a behind-closed-doors Test series in July, the County Championship and Twenty20 Blast will not go ahead until at least August.

    England's domestic season had already been delayed twice, but with uncertainty over the coronavirus pandemic continuing, the planned start date of July 1 has been pushed back a further month.

    An ECB statement released on Thursday said: "The specifics of the season remain subject to ongoing advice from UK government and health experts, but the ambition remains to host domestic men's and women's cricket across England and Wales later this summer.

    "The Professional Game Group (PGG) will look to outline a number of opportunities for domestic play, which will be presented to the ECB Board in June.

    "These plans include a number of options for both red-ball and white-ball cricket including matches played at all first class grounds, the use of a regional group model as well as consideration for matches played behind closed doors or with a limited number of supporters while strictly adhering to government guidance on social distancing.

    "As the ongoing COVID-19 situation continues to evolve, these scenarios will be worked on and assessed."

    Recreational cricket is also still on hold, with nets and training facilities only allowed to be used for exercise.

    ECB chief executive Tom Harrison said: "Naturally we want to see cricket being played at every level. We remain hopeful of seeing both domestic and recreational cricket this season and planning with the PGG has allowed us to map a number of potential scenarios for domestic play.

    "Across the recreational game it has been heart-warming to hear of clubs where players have returned to the nets.

    "As children start returning to school in the coming weeks, we look forward to exploring how those guidelines and learnings can be deployed for cricket. This can then see the recreational game continue its phased return as soon as we have government approval."

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.