Smith stars as Storm batter Broncos

By Sports Desk August 02, 2019

Cameron Smith was in scintillating form as Melbourne Storm thrashed Brisbane Broncos 40-4 at Suncorp Stadium on Friday.

Veteran hooker Smith played a role in three tries and added one of his own as NRL leaders Melbourne surged to their seventh straight win over the Broncos.

Josh Addo-Carr got the Storm off the mark before Smith produced a magical reverse pass out of dummy half to send Christian Welch through in the 29th minute.

The Melbourne captain forced a goal-line drop-out with a brilliant 40-metre kick and Kenny Bromwich found the corner from the following set to give the visitors an 18-0 half-time lead.

There was no let-up after the restart as Smith converted Jahrome Hughes' try and added a penalty, before Justin Olam's incredible offload preceded Bromwich exchanging passes with Addo-Carr for the prop's second.

Smith touched down after a phenomenal dummy from Olam and the 36-year-old combined with Cameron Munster to send Ryan Papenhuyzen through as the Storm ran riot.

Kotoni Staggs powered through for the Broncos' consolation try after an impressive run from James Segeyaro.

The Broncos sit ninth and their hopes of reaching the Finals were helped by Canberra Raiders defeating New Zealand Warriors 46-12.

Iosia Soliola, Josh Papalii, Michael Oldfield, Bailey Simonsson and Joseph Tapine all crossed for Canberra in a one-sided first half.

Chanel Harris-Tavita's double after the restart was not enough to get the Warriors back in it, with Simonsson touching down again before Josh Hodgson – making his 100th NRL appearance – and Jack Wighton got in on the act.

The Raiders move up to second in the standings, temporarily at least, while the Warriors will need a rapid improvement if they are to advance to the Finals.

Related items

  • Josh Reynolds charged with domestic violence offence Josh Reynolds charged with domestic violence offence

    Wests Tigers five-eighth Josh Reynolds has been charged by New South Wales Police with a domestic violence offence.

    The NRL club confirmed the development on Thursday and said Reynolds, 30, "vigorously defends" the charge.

    Reynolds is due to appear in court on December 18.

    "Both Josh and Wests Tigers has previously alerted the police and NRL on this matter and will continue to work closely with the NRL Integrity Unit and NSW Police as Josh vigorously defends this charge," read a club statement.

    "As this is an ongoing legal matter, Wests Tigers will be making no further comment at this time."

    Reynolds, a former New South Wales representative, made seven appearances in 2019 after joining the Tigers from the Canterbury Bulldogs the previous year.

    His contract runs until the end of the 2021 season.

  • Wests Tigers still thinking of Latrell swoop Wests Tigers still thinking of Latrell swoop

    Wests Tigers are prepared to reignite their interest in Sydney Roosters centre Latrell Mitchell.

    The Tigers withdrew an offer for the Australia star last month after the Roosters took a contract offer for the 22-year-old off the table.

    Mitchell.did not rule out remaining in Sydney with the premiers but has reportedly been told by the Roosters he will be unable to stay on due to salary-cap restrictions.

    Wests chairman Lee Hagipantelis revealed Roosters counterpart Nick Politis has been in touch to notify him of Mitchell's availability.

    "We are actively in the market considering a number of options that are available to us and if Latrell is to be one of those options he is more than welcome to reach out to us," Hagipantelis said.

    "At the moment I don't think we are under any particular pressure, we have got a really talented and healthy roster, but it is an active player market at the moment and we want to make sure we are a competitor in that market."

    He added, quoted on nrl.com: "Nick has been incredibly transparent throughout this process. He has called me chairman to chairman as a professional courtesy, which I am very appreciative of, and kept us informed.

    "Nick has not involved himself in any sort of discussions or negotiations or anything of that kind. It was simply as a professional courtesy to inform me of what the Roosters' position was."

  • Eels tie down promising talent Brown Eels tie down promising talent Brown

    Promising playmaker Dylan Brown has agreed a three-year contract extension that will keep him with Parramatta Eels until 2023.

    Brown impressed during his debut NRL season and will reportedly play under improved terms next year before earning AUS$2million across the following three campaigns.

    The 19-year-old, who represented New Zealand in the World Cup Nines in October, made 15 appearances for the Eels in 2019, contributing four tries and five assists.

    Parramatta are understood to have moved to tie him down in a bid to ward off interest from a number of NRL rivals.

    "The signing of Dylan Brown aligns with our development club philosophy and we're extremely proud of the person and player he has become. We're excited about the future ahead for our members and fans," said Eels general manager Mark O'Neill.

© 2018 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.