Storm surge clear of Souths & Tupou double inspires Roosters

By Sports Desk August 11, 2019

Melbourne Storm took another step towards the NRL minor premiership and dented South Sydney Rabbitohs' top-four hopes with a 26-16 win despite a hat-trick from Campbell Graham.

The Souths winger accounted for all of their tries in a contest played north of Sydney at Central Coast Stadium in Gosford, but the Rabbitohs were always playing catch up as the Storm cemented their grip on top spot.

Jesse Bromwich and Justin Olam crossed for the Storm inside the first 11 minutes, Cameron Smith converting one of those tries and adding a penalty as the visitors opened up a 12-0 lead.

Kyle Turner's offload set Graham up for his first and Adam Reynolds' penalty made it 12-6 at the break.

The Rabbitohs were level four minutes after the restart when Graham latched on to a wonderful pass from Cody Walker moments after the stand-off had been knocked into the post by Felise Kaufusi, who was sin-binned.

But Cameron Munster jinked his way through the Souths defence to restore Melbourne's advantage on the hour and Smith made it an eight-point game with the boot.

Graham cut the gap to four with his third after Suliasi Vunivalu had a try chalked off by the video referee at the other end but Brodie Croft secured the points five minutes from time.

Melbourne hold a six-point lead over Sydney Roosters at the top while the Rabbitohs are just two points clear of fifth-placed Manly Sea Eagles after a second straight defeat.

The Roosters took command in the battle for second as they defeated third-placed Canberra Raiders 22-18 to go two points ahead of the capital club.

Five tries were scored in the first half, Latrell Mitchell and Daniel Tupou giving the Roosters an 18-12 lead at the break after Jordan Rapana and Jarrod Croker had turned things around for the Raiders following Sydney loose forward Victor Radley's opening score.

Tupou spectacularly collected a high kick for his first try and powered on to a sensational cut-out pass from James Tedesco 12 minutes into the second half to make it 22-12 with what proved the decisive blow.

Elliott Whitehead gave Canberra hope and Croker converted his try but the Canberra captain went off injured late into his 250th NRL game as the Roosters held firm.

Related items

  • Josh Reynolds charged with domestic violence offence Josh Reynolds charged with domestic violence offence

    Wests Tigers five-eighth Josh Reynolds has been charged by New South Wales Police with a domestic violence offence.

    The NRL club confirmed the development on Thursday and said Reynolds, 30, "vigorously defends" the charge.

    Reynolds is due to appear in court on December 18.

    "Both Josh and Wests Tigers has previously alerted the police and NRL on this matter and will continue to work closely with the NRL Integrity Unit and NSW Police as Josh vigorously defends this charge," read a club statement.

    "As this is an ongoing legal matter, Wests Tigers will be making no further comment at this time."

    Reynolds, a former New South Wales representative, made seven appearances in 2019 after joining the Tigers from the Canterbury Bulldogs the previous year.

    His contract runs until the end of the 2021 season.

  • Wests Tigers still thinking of Latrell swoop Wests Tigers still thinking of Latrell swoop

    Wests Tigers are prepared to reignite their interest in Sydney Roosters centre Latrell Mitchell.

    The Tigers withdrew an offer for the Australia star last month after the Roosters took a contract offer for the 22-year-old off the table.

    Mitchell.did not rule out remaining in Sydney with the premiers but has reportedly been told by the Roosters he will be unable to stay on due to salary-cap restrictions.

    Wests chairman Lee Hagipantelis revealed Roosters counterpart Nick Politis has been in touch to notify him of Mitchell's availability.

    "We are actively in the market considering a number of options that are available to us and if Latrell is to be one of those options he is more than welcome to reach out to us," Hagipantelis said.

    "At the moment I don't think we are under any particular pressure, we have got a really talented and healthy roster, but it is an active player market at the moment and we want to make sure we are a competitor in that market."

    He added, quoted on nrl.com: "Nick has been incredibly transparent throughout this process. He has called me chairman to chairman as a professional courtesy, which I am very appreciative of, and kept us informed.

    "Nick has not involved himself in any sort of discussions or negotiations or anything of that kind. It was simply as a professional courtesy to inform me of what the Roosters' position was."

  • Eels tie down promising talent Brown Eels tie down promising talent Brown

    Promising playmaker Dylan Brown has agreed a three-year contract extension that will keep him with Parramatta Eels until 2023.

    Brown impressed during his debut NRL season and will reportedly play under improved terms next year before earning AUS$2million across the following three campaigns.

    The 19-year-old, who represented New Zealand in the World Cup Nines in October, made 15 appearances for the Eels in 2019, contributing four tries and five assists.

    Parramatta are understood to have moved to tie him down in a bid to ward off interest from a number of NRL rivals.

    "The signing of Dylan Brown aligns with our development club philosophy and we're extremely proud of the person and player he has become. We're excited about the future ahead for our members and fans," said Eels general manager Mark O'Neill.

© 2018 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.