Australia's Kepu to call time on international career following Rugby World Cup

By Sports Desk September 02, 2019

Sekope Kepu will call time on his Australia career following the Rugby World Cup.

Kepu became the first prop to play 100 Tests for Australia last year, having made his Wallabies debut in 2008.

The 33-year-old Waratahs front rower will join London Irish after the World Cup, which he confirmed on Monday will be his final international tournament.

Saturday's Test against Samoa – against whom Kepu made his first start for Australia in 2011 – will be his final home match.

"I'll let my wife contact all the friends and relatives that want to come along to the game but it will just be a great day to play against Samoa. It's going to be a hell of a week and I'm definitely looking forward to it," Kepu told the Wallabies' official website.

"I never thought I would have achieved that milestone [100 Tests] and to have done so, it's something that makes me feel very privileged and fortunate.

"There's guys pushing for spots everywhere now. We have quality depth in Australian rugby and I'll be looking from afar and just excited about what we have."

While Kepu will travel to Japan, Jack Maddocks and Rob Valetini did not make the cut, though the duo have been included in Michael Chieka's extended squad for the Samoa match.

Nick Phipps, Joe Powell, Liam Wright, Tom Banks, Luke Jones and Tatafu Polota-Nau could also feature on Saturday, despite not making the travelling party.

Related items

  • Rugby World Cup 2019: England ready to embrace Wallabies challenge – Marler Rugby World Cup 2019: England ready to embrace Wallabies challenge – Marler

    Joe Marler said England have no fears as they prepare for Saturday's Rugby World Cup quarter-final against Australia.

    Marler came out of test retirement at the end of the last season to join up with Eddie Jones' England squad, who are well rested for the clash in Oita having had their final pool game against France abandoned due to Typhoon Hagibis.

    The 29-year-old Marler was part of the England team that did not reach the last eight in 2015, but believes the 2019 squad are better equipped to embrace the challenges of knockout rugby.  

    "I don't think it's pressure. The group has now got a mind-set of 'bring it on – bring on the challenges'," he told reporters.

    "We embrace it and look forward to it as opposed to shying away from it.

    "I have been involved in teams who have let nerves overcome them, caved in and allowed them to become negative. I don't feel that in this group. The boys embrace the nervousness and use it as a positive energy to drive us on."

    Marler had retired from internationals in 2018 due to family reasons but could not resist the opportunity to win a World Cup with England, having been called into the squad for the showpiece tournament in Japan.

    "That was part of the reason I came out of retirement. I could see the potential in this group and I wanted a taste of that. That's ultimately what's driving me on for the next couple of weeks," he added.

    "It hasn't been easy. I've had to work my buns off to try and get back to an emotional and mental state capable of contributing to the squad the best I can.

    "And the physical state too. That has been even harder. You come out of it for a year and you forget how fast they do everything."

  • Rugby World Cup 2019: England-France cancellation can benefit Australia - Horwill Rugby World Cup 2019: England-France cancellation can benefit Australia - Horwill

    James Horwill thinks the cancellation of England's Rugby World Cup clash with France could work in Australia's favour when the teams meet in a blockbuster quarter-final on Saturday.

    England were due to face Les Bleus in their final Pool C match in Yokohama last weekend, but Typhoon Hagibis prevented the fixture from going ahead.

    It led to England coach Eddie Jones saying the typhoon gods must be smiling on his team after they were given a weekend off and finished top to set up a showdown with the Wallabies.

    Yet former Australia captain Horwill believes England will be wishing they had locked horns for a pool decider with their Six Nations rivals, having won their other three games at a canter.

    Horwill told Omnisport: "England are a good side, well drilled and very disciplined with what they do. When they get on the front foot, they are very hard to stop.

    "I think they would have liked to have had that game against France because it would have been a strong test and a really challenge.

    "They have come through the pool stage being able to deal with the opposition quite comfortably, which is obviously a good thing for them, but they haven't had a big test.

    "It depends on how you look at it. From the point of view of someone like Billy Vunipola, with a sore ankle, he's had extra time to rest up and get fit in a week off.

    "They would have wanted to play again, but they should feel good going into the game. But if the heat comes sometimes you need to think, 'We've been here before last week and we know how to get through it'.

    "Obviously that is not something England have had to deal with."

  • Rugby World Cup 2019: Tonga hooker Ngauamo gets seven-week ban for kicking opponent Rugby World Cup 2019: Tonga hooker Ngauamo gets seven-week ban for kicking opponent

    Tonga hooker Paula Ngauamo has been given a seven-week ban for kicking an opponent in the face during his country's Rugby World Cup victory over the United States.

    The incident was not spotted during Tonga's 31-19 victory on Sunday, but Ngauamo was cited after the game for an act of foul play.

    Ngauamo, who argued he had "acted recklessly, not deliberately", did not attend the hearing and was given a hefty ban by the judicial panel having already been suspended twice in the past four years.

    With Tonga already eliminated from the World Cup, Ngauamo will miss seven weeks of the new Top 14 season for his club Agen.

© 2018 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.