Roosters withdraw Mitchell contract offer

By Sports Desk November 05, 2019

Latrell Mitchell could have played his last game for Sydney Roosters after the NRL champions withdrew the offer of a new contract for the centre.

Australia international Mitchell, linked with the Canterbury Bulldogs, has another season left on his current deal and was given the option of an extension by the premiers.

The Roosters on Tuesday revealed a new deal is no longer on the table after the 22-year-old refused to commit beyond 2020.

A club statement said: "The Sydney Roosters have today advised the management of Latrell Mitchell that the club's offer for 2021 and beyond has been withdrawn following discussions with Latrell today.

"Latrell has expressed that he would like to explore his options for season 2021, however he remains under contract with the Roosters for season 2020."

Mitchell said earlier in the day: "I'll do what's right for my family and I. No one has any influence on my decisions.

"I've moved out of home at age 15 to give myself a life. Now I have the responsibility of giving my kids a life I didn't have."

Related items

  • Bennett set to be replaced by Demetriou as Rabbitohs coach in 2022 Bennett set to be replaced by Demetriou as Rabbitohs coach in 2022

    The South Sydney Rabbitohs confirmed Jason Demetriou had agreed to a contract extension that is set to see him succeed Wayne Bennett as head coach in 2022.

    Bennett joined the Rabbitohs ahead of last season, leading them to the preliminary finals before a loss to the Canberra Raiders.

    The 70-year-old will see out his contract, which runs until the end of 2021, with South Sydney, with Demetriou set to take over.

    "The South Sydney Rabbitohs have confirmed that current assistant coach Jason Demetriou has agreed to terms on a contract extension with the South Sydney Rabbitohs with a view to succeeding Wayne Bennett as head coach of the club post the 2021 season, a plan which has been in place since coach Bennett's appointment at the club," a Rabbitohs statement read on Friday.

    "Coach Bennett is contracted to the Rabbitohs until the end of the 2021 season with Demetriou lined up to take over the head coach role for the pre-season preparations leading into season 2022.

    "The club will maintain its focus on the 2020 and 2021 seasons under coach Bennett and preparing for next Saturday's pre-season feature match, the 37th Charity Shield against the St George Illawarra Dragons at Glen Willow Stadium in Mudgee."

    Demetriou, 44, followed Bennett – who was sacked as England coach earlier this month – to the Rabbitohs from the Brisbane Broncos ahead of 2019.

    South Sydney will begin their 2020 season against the Cronulla Sharks on March 14.

  • Catalans Dragons respond to rainbow flag reports but RFL still investigating Catalans Dragons respond to rainbow flag reports but RFL still investigating

    Catalans Dragons insist a rainbow flag was only ordered to be removed at their match against Castleford Tigers as it was covering advertising boards, although the Rugby Football League (RFL) is taking time to investigate.

    There were reports of rainbow flags, a representative symbol of LGBT pride, being taken down following Israel Folau's Catalans debut.

    Former union star Folau was playing for the first time since he was sacked by Rugby Australia (RA) last May for posting homophobic comments on social media.

    The Dragons say they have analysed footage of the incident and have offered an explanation, adamant pro-LGBT banners are welcome at their stadium.

    "Catalans Dragons are happy to confirm that supporters flags are welcome in all the stands at Gilbert Brutus Stadium," a statement read.

    "We noted the complaints of certain Castleford supporters but, having reviewed the CCTV footage and numerous photos in the media, we can confirm that supporters were able to display their flags and colours throughout.

    "However, it is important that flags and banners do not cover advertising boards. Stadium security staff are briefed to ensure that advertising boards are kept clear throughout the game.

    "The investigation found that one person was asked to remove a flag because it was covering an advertising board. 

    "The only banners and flags forbidden in our stadium and other sports stadia would be those which are insulting or inciting violence.

    "We can confirm that no such incidents were reported on Saturday during our match against Castleford."

    However, the RFL is not yet closing the case.

    A short statement read: "We thank Catalans Dragons for instigating their own investigation, but we will need time to consider all the available evidence before reaching any conclusions."

    Folau scored an early try on his first rugby league outing since 2010, helping Catalans defeat Castleford 36-18 in Perpignan on Saturday.

  • Saints go top while Wakefield grab first win Saints go top while Wakefield grab first win

    Hull FC's winning start to the Super League season came grinding to a halt in a 32-18 home defeat to St Helens, while Wakefield Trinity picked up their first win of the campaign at the expense of Warrington Wolves.

    Saints trailed 6-2 by half-time at KC Stadium courtesy of Carlos Tuimavave scoring a try against the run of play before Marc Sneyd converted, but the visitors stormed into the lead within 10 minutes of the restart as Matthew Costello and Luke Thompson went over in quick succession.

    Louie McCarthy-Scarsbrook, James Bentley and Aaron Smith added further scores in a blistering second-half performance from Kristian Woolf's side that rendered tries from Hull's Tuimavave and Jamie Shaul irrelevant as Saints replaced their hosts at the top of the table.

    Wakefield's season began with a disappointing defeat at Hull KR but Chris Chester's men bounced back with a home win over Warrington, who led 2-0 at the break after Stefan Ratchford's 38th-minute penalty.

    Ryan Hampshire gave Trinity the lead with three well-taken penalties after the restart, and although Ratchford went over and converted to restore Warrington's lead, the game hinged on two minutes that saw Matty Ashurst and Tom Johnstone steam in for tries that Hampshire converted.

    The result leaves both sides with two points from their opening trio of games ahead of Trinity's trip to Castleford Tigers and Warrington's clash with struggling Toronto Wolfpack on Friday.

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.