Vunivalu to leave Storm for Reds in 2021

By Sports Desk December 03, 2019

Melbourne Storm star Suliasi Vunivalu will switch to rugby union from 2021 after signing a two-year deal with the Reds.

Vunivalu, 24, played union as a teenager before being signed by the Storm, where he made his NRL debut in 2016.

The Fiji international has scored 72 tries in 94 NRL games for Melbourne, helping the Storm win the 2017 premiership.

Vunivalu will honour the final year of his contract with the Storm before joining the Reds in 2021, it was confirmed on Tuesday.

"The Storm has been wonderful to me, and I'm continuing to make great memories here," he said.

"However, the offer from rugby union was too good for me to refuse, especially considering I have a young family who I want to do the best for.

"I was a rugby union player before switching to league and always thought going back to rugby was an option for my career and I never wanted to play for another NRL club.

"I'd hate to have to go up against Storm and my mates. Now this decision is public, I'm concentrating 100 per cent on my final year in Melbourne and looking forward to doing the best I can for the boys, the coaches and all our members and fans.

"I won't be making any further comments on rugby until the NRL season is done."

Vunivalu was the top try-scorer in the NRL in 2016 and 2017, crossing 23 times in each campaign.

Reds head coach Brad Thorn was delighted with the signing of the wing.

"As a group we look forward to welcoming Suliasi Vunivalu back to rugby and to Queensland in 2021," he said.

"Suliasi grew up playing rugby in New Zealand before becoming one of the NRL's most exciting players.

"He's an impressive talent and has an awesome ability to find the try-line. He brings good experience too with almost 100 NRL games for Melbourne and 12 rugby league Tests for Fiji. Suliasi will be a great addition to our programme."

Related items

  • Nowell Six Nations squad omission due to ankle surgery Nowell Six Nations squad omission due to ankle surgery

    Jack Nowell missed out on a place in England's Six Nations squad as he is set to undergo ankle surgery.

    Eddie Jones on Monday named eight uncapped players in a 34-man squad that did not include versatile Exeter Chiefs back Nowell.

    Exeter revealed via Twitter the 26-year-old, like team-mate Henry Slade, was not deemed fit enough to feature in the tournament despite playing in the European Champions Cup victory over La Rochelle on Saturday.

    Nowell recovered from an ankle operation to play in the Rugby World Cup last year, but the Chiefs confirmed he will go under the knife again.

    Centre Slade is recovering from a broken leg sustained against Leicester Tigers in December.

  • England omit Nowell and call up eight uncapped players for Six Nations England omit Nowell and call up eight uncapped players for Six Nations

    Jack Nowell has not been included in the England Six Nations squad, with Eddie Jones calling up eight uncapped players.

    Dan Cole and Ben Spencer also missed out on Jones' 34-man squad for the tournament, which England begin with an away clash against France on February 2.

    The omission of versatile back Nowell was the biggest surprise of the 10 players from England's Rugby World Cup squad who are not selected, many of whom are injured - including Billy Vunipola (broken arm).

    Capped 34 times by his country, the 26-year-old has played regularly for Exeter Chiefs despite struggling with his recovery from an ankle injury suffered prior to the World Cup and reports suggest he will now undergo a second operation.

    Alex Moon, Fraser Dingwall and Jacob Umaga earn call-ups for the first time, along with George Furbank and Will Stuart.

    Tom Dunn, Ben Earl and Ollie Thorley have been in previous squads and have another chance to make their England debuts.

    Alex Mitchell and Josh Hodge are called up as apprentice players.

    Seven Saracens players earned a selection after the news the European champions will be relegated from the Premiership at the end of the season.

    The squad will meet at Pennyhill Park on Wednesday to begin their Six Nations preparation, before flying to Portugal a day later.

    Jones said: "It is always about winning the next game so we have picked the best squad available. 

    "At the same time we wanted to bring some young players in because we need to keep building our depth so for those new players it is an exciting opportunity for them.

    "The first three days will be about getting organised. We have got players from 11 clubs so we need to get everyone on the same page quickly and spend a lot of time working on our togetherness.

    "Then by Tuesday next week we are in Test preparation for France."
     

    England squad: 

    Forwards: Luke Cowan-Dickie, Tom Curry, Tom Dunn, Ben Earl, Charlie Ewels, Ellis Genge, Jamie George, Ted Hill, Maro Itoje, George Kruis, Joe Launchbury, Courtney Lawes, Lewis Ludlam, Joe Marler, Alex Moon, Kyle Sinckler, Will Stuart, Sam Underhill, Mako Vunipola, Harry Williams.

    Backs: Elliot Daly, Ollie Devoto, Fraser Dingwall, Owen Farrell (captain), George Ford, George Furbank, Willi Heinz, Jonathan Joseph, Jonny May, Ollie Thorley, Manu Tuilagi, Jacob Umaga, Anthony Watson, Ben Youngs.

  • England suffer Six Nations blow with confirmation of broken arm for Billy Vunipola England suffer Six Nations blow with confirmation of broken arm for Billy Vunipola

    Billy Vunipola looks set to miss the entire Six Nations after Saracens confirmed the England number eight suffered a broken arm in their European Champions Cup victory over Racing 92.

    Vunipola was hurt in the early stages of Sunday's contest at Allianz Park, with fears he had suffered a fracture that would lead to a lengthy lay-off.

    In a statement on Monday, Saracens confirmed the 27-year-old had broken his arm for the fourth time in the last two years.

    Although the European champions did not put a timescale on his recovery, it appears certain Vunipola will miss the Six Nations, which runs from February 1 to March 14.

    Saracens' statement read: "Billy Vunipola has suffered a broken arm.

    "He will see a consultant over the coming days to determine the full extent of the injury before undergoing rehabilitation."

    The news also represents a significant blow to Sarries, who have endured a nightmare week with confirmation of their impending relegation from the Premiership due to salary cap breaches.

    With the club set to play in the second tier of English rugby in 2020-21, the futures of their England internationals, including Vunipola, have come under scrutiny.

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.