Coronavirus: NRL planning to restart on May 28

By Sports Desk April 09, 2020

The NRL is planning to resume on May 28, the Australian Rugby League Commission (ARLC) has announced.

The competition was suspended after just two rounds on March 23 due to the coronavirus pandemic, with earlier games having taken place behind closed doors.

ARLC chairman Peter V'landys said this week he was confident of the season restarting on June 1 but after a call including representatives of all 16 clubs on Thursday it was decided to resume even sooner.

ARL Commissioner Wayne Pearce, who is heading up the innovations committee, said: "I'm pleased to announce we're planning a competition start on May 28.

"The details on the competition structure we haven't got yet because the landscape is changing around government boundaries. That will feed into the complexity structure.

"Today what we landed on was a starting date.

"We haven't finalised what that [competition] looks like yet. Why we want to firm up a date is to give certainty to players and their schedules, clubs and thousands of people who are out of work through clubs and millions of fans.

"It's a mark for everyone to work towards that's associated with the game."

Related items

  • Coronavirus: NHL teams allowed to begin small-group training on Monday Coronavirus: NHL teams allowed to begin small-group training on Monday

    The NHL announced on Thursday the league is moving to Phase 2 of its return-to-play plan and teams may begin small-group training beginning on Monday.

    Under the plan, clubs will be allowed to re-open their training facilities in their home cities and no more than six players will be allowed – either on or off the ice – at one time. The workouts will be voluntary.

    For teams to move to Phase 2, their local government must approve given their social distancing and shelter-at-home regulations. This small-group training will not be a substitute for training camp.

    The NHL is hoping to move to Phase 3 and formal training camps by mid-July.

  • Coronavirus: Pittsburgh Penguins player tests positive Coronavirus: Pittsburgh Penguins player tests positive

    An unidentified Pittsburgh Penguins player has tested positive for coronavirus, the team said in a statement on Thursday.

    Five Ottawa Senators players previously tested positive for COVID-19 as did three members of the Colorado Avalanche.

    The Penguins are part of the NHL's expanded 24-team playoff format as the fifth seeds in the Eastern Conference. The league is still assessing health and safety protocols for what would be 24 teams playing in two hub cities. 

    "The Pittsburgh Penguins were advised today that a player tested positive for the COVID-19 virus," a statement read.

    "The player is not in Pittsburgh and has been in isolation at his home since first experiencing symptoms. He is recovered and feeling well.

    "Those in close contact with the player leading up to his diagnosis have been notified."

    The NHL has yet to announce a firm timeline for training camps and the resumption of games.

  • Coronavirus: Tottenham borrow £175m from Bank of England Coronavirus: Tottenham borrow £175m from Bank of England

    Tottenham have borrowed £175million from the Bank of England to help ease the financial impact of the coronavirus pandemic.

    Spurs estimate they will lose £200m in the period up to June 2021 as a result of their new stadium being unable to host matches with fans in attendance.

    As well as their own games being impacted, other sporting and cultural events which were due to be held at the venue have been cancelled.

    Among the cancelled occasions at Tottenham Hotspur Stadium were two NFL fixtures, Anthony Joshua's world heavyweight championship boxing match against Kubrat Pulev and a Lady Gaga concert.

    Spurs also have a rebate to broadcasters to pay after three months without any Premier League action.

    The £175m in funding has been borrowed through a Covid Corporate Financing Facility, which Tottenham were eligible for. 

    It is repayable at an interest rate of 0.5 per cent.

    Manager Jose Mourinho previously said Tottenham are "not going to spend rivers of money" on transfers, and these funds will not be used to sign new players, instead providing financial flexibility.

    "We have always run this club on a self-sustaining commercial basis," said Tottenham chairman Daniel Levy.

    "I said as early as 18 March that, in all my 20 years at the club, there have been many hurdles along the way but none of this magnitude - the COVID-19 pandemic has shown itself to be the most serious of them all.

    "It is imperative that we now all work together - scientists, technologists, the government and the live events sector - to find a safe way to bring spectators back to sport and entertainment venues.

    "Collectively we have the ability to support the development of new technologies to make this possible and to once again experience the passion of fans at live events."

    In April, Tottenham reversed their decision to use the government's furlough scheme amid a backlash from fans.

    Spurs initially planned to use the system for 550 non-playing staff during the COVID-19 crisis.

    But after the reversal of the decision, Spurs insisted all affected staff would receive full pay in April and May, with only board members – including Levy – taking monetary reductions.

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.