NFL

Antonio Brown will not face prosecution for alleged sexual assault incident in Pennsylvania

By Sports Desk September 18, 2019

The Allegheny County District Attorney says a statute of limitations issue prevents prosecutors in Pennsylvania from filing charges against Antonio Brown, after he was accused of sexual assault.

New England Patriots wide receiver Brown was accused by former trainer Britney Taylor of sexual assault and rape, allegations he has strongly denied through his attorney.

Taylor claimed Brown sexually assaulted her once in Pittsburgh when he exposed himself to her and forcibly kissed her in July 2017. The other alleged sexual assault and alleged rape occurred in Florida.

However, the allegation being dealt with by Pittsburgh law enforcement is more than two years old, which means there will not be an investigation.

"Our office, along with the Allegheny County Police Department, made contact with counsel for the plaintiff in the federal lawsuit involving Antonio Brown," the Allegheny County District Attorney's Office told Omnisport in a statement.

"Procedurally, it appears there is a statute of limitations issue in moving forward with any inquiry involving the Allegheny County allegation mentioned in the lawsuit."

It is unclear if Florida prosecutors will investigate charges on the rape and sexual assault allegations.

Taylor filed a civil suit against Brown last week, one day after the Patriots signed him to the team. ESPN reported on Friday that Brown will not be placed on the commissioner's exempt list because there is no criminal investigation into the wideout.

Taylor reportedly met with NFL investigators this week to give her statement, while Brown is expected to meet with the league soon to discuss the allegations.

Brown made his season debut last Sunday against the Miami Dolphins, where he caught four passes for 56 yards and a touchdown.

Related items

  • Patriots thrash Jets for seventh straight win Patriots thrash Jets for seventh straight win

    The New England Patriots started fast on Monday to coast to a 33-0 rout of the New York Jets and remain undefeated.

    New England, off to their third 7-0 start in history, completed a season sweep of the Jets, who dropped to 1-5, and again did not concede a single point.

    Tom Brady was up to his usual tricks, New England's defense played lights out and Sam Darnold had a disappointing follow-up after returning as the Jets quarterback a week ago.

     

    What else can you say about Tom Brady?

    At this point in his career it is clockwork. Brady continuously defies the odds when he steps onto the field and comes away with easy wins as he did on Monday.

    He was near perfect, throwing one interception, but the veteran quarterback brushed it off and kept the offense rolling.

    Brady finished 31-of-45 passing for 249 yards and one touchdown. He did not lead a balanced attack with 249 passing yards to 74 rushing, but he did look to running back Sony Michel for a bulk of the team's scores once they were deep in the red zone.

    Patriots' defense continues to dominate

    We already know Brady is reliable under center, but New England's defense have turned a tide since coach Bill Belichick assumed the role as coordinator. The mastermind has helped put together the league's best defensive unit in nearly every category. 

    The Patriots' defense entered the game with as many touchdowns (three) as they have allowed through six games. They are also allowing just 6.9 points per game.

    It was an obvious mismatch against the lowly Jets on paper, but it was made more apparent come game time.

    New England finished with six turnovers (four interceptions, two fumbles) and just 154 total yards allowed.

     

    There is an argument that New England have not had a true test. A fact that may remain until the Patriots' match-up with the Baltimore Ravens in two weeks. If the defense continues to steamroll lesser sides, it should be primed for another big performance against a tougher offense.

    Sam Darnold's return came to a screeching halt

    It was unfair of the football gods to have this match-up on the calendar at this time. No one could have foreseen Darnold coming down with mono but when he did return last week, he played well.

    Darnold entered the Week 7 matchup with the Patriots off one of the best performances of his young career. In the Jets' first win of the season, a 24-22 victory over the Dallas Cowboys, the second-year signal caller finished with a 71.9 per cent completion rate, 338 yards, two touchdowns and one interception.

    It was a much different story this time around.

    He opened the game with horrible decision making that led to an early pick and he never recovered.

    Darnold finished 11-of-32 passing for 73 yards, no touchdowns and the four interceptions.

  • Carson Wentz 'embarrassed' by Eagles' performance in Cowboys defeat Carson Wentz 'embarrassed' by Eagles' performance in Cowboys defeat
  • Bears coach Nagy never considered benching Trubisky against Saints Bears coach Nagy never considered benching Trubisky against Saints

    Chicago Bears head coach Matt Nagy said he never considered benching quarterback Mitch Trubisky against the New Orleans Saints.

    Making his first NFL start Sunday since dislocating his non-throwing shoulder last month, Trubisky struggled as the Bears went down 36-25 to the Saints.

    At one point late in the fourth quarter, Trubisky was 20 for 35 for 119 yards, before padding his final stats on two late scoring drives after the game was out of hand.

    But despite Trubisky's issues, Nagy said he never considered benching him for backup Chase Daniel – who filled in as the starter while Trubisky was injured. 

    "Because there's just so many parts of it," Nagy said. "And Mitch is a competitor, and I think for all of us, it just was one of those deals where you would love — you would really love it to be able to get the run game going early, early, early so you can do more things, and we didn't do that."

    Bears fans on social media were brutal to Trubisky during and after the game.

    After a Pro Bowl season last year, Trubisky appears to have taken a step back this term. It does not help matters that, as the second overall pick in 2017, he will forever be compared to the two quarterbacks (Patrick Mahomes and Deshaun Watson) taken after him in the first round that same year.

    When a reporter asked Nagy if he is still committed to his young quarterback, he responded, "Yeah. Absolutely, yeah."

    Nagy was quick to point out that Chicago's struggles were a team effort on Sunday. Bears rushers gained only 17 yards on seven carries, the fewest in franchise history.

    "I mean, right now we have no identity," Trubisky said. "We're just searching. We don't have any rhythm. We're not the offense we were last year, and every year is different, every game is different. We've just got to find ways, look within ourselves, and we've got to have guys step up."

© 2018 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.