Drawn Lions series makes England Test bigger for All Blacks - Hansen

By Sports Desk November 08, 2018

Steve Hansen believes New Zealand's clash with England on Saturday is bigger than their drawn series against the British and Irish Lions last year.

The All Blacks were denied victory by a touring Lions side following a dramatic draw in the third Test as Owen Farrell - one of several England players involved - kicked a late penalty.

And Hansen says that disappointment has given the upcoming November international between New Zealand and Eddie Jones' side an added edge.

"I think this is even bigger, actually," said Hansen, comparing the Twickenham match to the 2017 Lions tour. "I think the Lions tour has made it bigger because we weren't successful.

"In only drawing the series, that wasn't successful to us. That's made this week have a sharper edge to it, which is good.

"You've got to be reasonably stupid if you can't work out this is going to be big. There's 80,000 people there, it's all over the papers, everyone's talking about it, you can't get a ticket.

"You'd have to be on holiday, I reckon, if you didn't work out that this is going to be big. And we haven't got anybody on holiday this week."

Hansen is under no illusions about the scale of the task either, adding: "I don't know who's writing them off - it would be foolish to do that. But does it put pressure on us? No.

"There's already pressure on us, the one constant thing about being in the All Blacks is you're under pressure. You're expected to win every Test match you play and not only win it, win it really, really well.

"Once you come to realise that then life becomes a little easier and it does, at times, give you an advantage. When other teams get put under pressure of having to win big games, they haven't experienced that as much as maybe we have."

Related items

  • Scotland coach Townsend turns to trio of uncapped hookers Scotland coach Townsend turns to trio of uncapped hookers

    A trio of uncapped hookers have been named in Scotland's squad for the Six Nations, which sees back row John Hardie make his return.

    With Fraser Brown and George Turner injured, hookers David Cherry, Jake Kerr and Grant Stewart are among seven uncapped players selected by head coach Gregor Townsend.

    Back row Gary Graham, tighthead prop D'Arcy Rae and centres Sam Johnson and Chris Dean are also in line to win their first caps after being named in the 39-man squad.

    Newcastle Falcons' Hardie, meanwhile, is selected for the first time since last year's Six Nations.

    Jonny Gray and Tommy Seymour could reach a half century of caps for Scotland, who start their tournament against Italy at Murrayfield on February 2.

    "There's certainly been a lot of improvement from this group of players in recent seasons and I believe there's much more to come. They've a genuine desire to get better and reach their potential in what is a huge year for our sport," Townsend said.

    "In the past 18 months we've played 18 Test matches and have introduced 18 new players to Test-level rugby. Once again, our squad features players aiming to take that step, which is a testimony to their performances this season and the growing strength in depth of Scottish rugby.

    "We are very proud of what a number of our players have achieved since the autumn Tests, particularly with Edinburgh and Glasgow Warriors both aiming to make the last eight of the Heineken Champions Cup for the first time and both sitting in strong positions in their respective Guinness Pro14 conferences.

    "We've also seen some excellent performances from players representing clubs in France and England, which is a credit to their commitment and work ethic.

    "It is a privilege for our players to be involved in the Guinness Six Nations, which is such a prestigious tournament and will be highly competitive once again.

    "We look forward to taking on the challenge of Italy and working hard as a squad over the next two weeks to deliver a winning performance."

     

    Scotland squad in full:

    Forwards: Alex Allan (Glasgow Warriors), Adam Ashe (Glasgow Warriors), Simon Berghan (Edinburgh), Jamie Bhatti (Glasgow Warriors), David Cherry (Edinburgh), Allan Dell (Edinburgh), Grant Gilchrist (Edinburgh), Gary Graham (Newcastle Falcons), Jonny Gray (Glasgow Warriors), John Hardie (Newcastle Falcons), Jake Kerr (Leicester Tigers), Stuart McInally (Edinburgh), Willem Nel (Edinburgh), D'Arcy Rae (Glasgow Warriors), Jamie Ritchie (Edinburgh), Sam Skinner (Exeter Chiefs), Grant Stewart (Glasgow Warriors), Josh Strauss (Sale Sharks), Tim Swinson (Glasgow Warriors), Ben Toolis (Edinburgh), Hamish Watson (Edinburgh), Ryan Wilson (Glasgow Warriors).

    Backs: Chris Dean (Edinburgh), Darcy Graham (Edinburgh), Nick Grigg (Glasgow Warriors), Sam Johnson (Glasgow Warriors), Chris Harris (Newcastle Falcons), Adam Hastings (Glasgow Warriors), Stuart Hogg (Glasgow Warriors), George Horne (Glasgow Warriors), Pete Horne (Glasgow Warriors), Huw Jones (Glasgow Warriors), Lee Jones (Glasgow Warriors), Blair Kinghorn (Edinburgh), Greig Laidlaw (captain) (Clermont Auvergne), Sean Maitland (Saracens), Ali Price (Glasgow Warriors), Finn Russell (Racing 92), Tommy Seymour (Glasgow Warriors).

  • Bravo set to rejoin Windies Test squad after two-year absence Bravo set to rejoin Windies Test squad after two-year absence

    Out-of-favour batsman Darren Bravo is set to rejoin the Windies Test team for the first time in two years having been selected for the upcoming series against England.

    The 29-year-old Bravo has often been considered one of the region’s most promising prospects in the game’s longest format, an area that has seen the team struggle mightily in recent years.  Bravo, however, ran afoul of the cricket board in 2016 after a tweet that called CWI president Dave Cameron a ‘big idiot’ surfaced on his Twitter profile during a contract dispute.

    Following talks late last year the way was clear for the player to return to the unit and was recalled to the Windies one-day squad but was yet to be included in the longest format. 

    Bravo is expected to be joined by debutants John Campbell, a 26-year-old left-handed opener from Jamaica, and Shamarh Brooks, the former West Indies Under-19 captain. 

    Windies chairman of selectors Courtney Brown insisted on the back of disappointing tour of Bangladesh that the time was right for changes with the series coming up on home soil.

    "After a difficult Test Series in Bangladesh late last year the opportunity presents itself for our team to pick itself up," said Brown.

     "Although a tough series against England is anticipated, home turf has always been a place where our team has made strides."

  • Gatland confident Wales can win Six Nations Gatland confident Wales can win Six Nations

    Wales head coach Warren Gatland is confident his side can win his final Six Nations in the job after naming his squad on Tuesday.

    Gatland announced a 39-man selection for the championship, which kicks off for Wales against France on February 1.

    The New Zealander, who will be replaced by Wayne Pivac after the Rugby World Cup, has had to negotiate a number of injury concerns in shaping his squad - not least a broken arm sustained by Taulupe Faletau at the weekend.

    But Gatland remains positive about his team's chances and says the opening fixture in Paris will be key to the success of their campaign.

    “I think we’ve got a great chance of winning the Six Nations, if we win that opening game," Gatland said.

    "That first game is going to be our toughest. We feel like we are in as good a position as anybody to do well.

    "The whole thing about the Six Nations is momentum. If you can win your first couple of games, then you have a great chance of being in contention on the last weekend.

    "This is competition time. The autumn was great, but it wasn’t about points.

    "This is what we are going to experience in Japan [at the World Cup], so it’s about fronting up and winning games, playing some good rugby, but also thinking about tournament rugby."

    Leigh Halfpenny and Ross Moriarty have been included despite being sidelined with concussion - the Scarlets full-back since November and the Dragons back-row forward since mid-December.

    "It's important that we don't rush him [Moriarty] back and hopefully he starts training and potentially he will have a game before the Six Nations," he said.

    "We'll see where he [Halfpenny] is at. He's been advised to continue training and ... if he's right, he'll be in contention but if not we'll have to make some other plans."

    Gatland added of fly-half Dan Biggar (knee): "Dan has a medial injury but he's a fast healer and hopefully he might be in contention for this game."

SportsMax Zone

Latest Tweets

#Dinwiddie sinks 3-pointer from half-court logo! More #NBA 🏀 tonight as #Curry and the #Warriors play #Jokic and t… https://t.co/vrV7hn5UD8
#StephCurry dropped 48 pts including ELEVEN threes as the #Warriors triumphed over #Doncic and the #Mavs in #NBA🏀 a… https://t.co/kzRSYMwDUh
#Simeone reacts to #AtleticoMadrid win on Sunday. More #LaLiga continues today! Watch all season long LIVE via the… https://t.co/61EuUlY8yE
Follow SportsMax on Twitter
© 2018 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.