MLB

ALCS Game 4 postponed due to incoming storm

By Sports Desk October 16, 2019

Game 4 of the American League Championship Series between the New York Yankees and Houston Astros, scheduled for Wednesday, has been postponed until Thursday, MLB has announced.

At the time of the decision shortly before midday (local time) on Wednesday, the weather forecast called for 100 per cent chance of rain in New York.

New York Harbor is under a gale warning and nearby areas are under a flash flood watch and a coastal flood advisory.

The change means Game 5 is pushed back to Friday, previously a scheduled off-day.

If required, the series will return to Houston for Games 6 and 7 on Saturday and Sunday respectively.

The Astros took a 2-1 lead in the series with Tuesday's 4-1 victory in New York, with the winner to face the Washington Nationals, who have closed out a sweep of the St Louis Cardinals.

The World Series is set to begin next Tuesday in either Houston or New York.

Related items

  • Giants hire Nakken as MLB's first full-time female coach Giants hire Nakken as MLB's first full-time female coach

    The San Francisco Giants have hired Alyssa Nakken to their coaching staff, making her the first full-time coach in MLB history.

    A former Sacramento State softball player, Nakken was hired along with Mark Hallberg by new Giants manager Gabe Kapler on Thursday.

    "In every organisation, environment affects performance, and baseball clubhouses are no different," Kapler said in a release. 

    "That's why in addition to assisting the rest of the coaching staff on the field, Mark and Alyssa will focus on fostering a clubhouse culture that promotes high performance through, among other attributes, a deep sense of collaboration and team."

    Nakken will hope to help the Giants bounce back from a disappointing 2019 season in which they finished 77-85.

    Kapler took over from Bruce Bochy, who led the Giants to three World Series titles in five years from 2010-2014, in November.

  • Springer, Astros settle on one-year deal Springer, Astros settle on one-year deal

    George Springer and the tainted Houston Astros avoided arbitration by settling on a one-year deal.

    Astros star Springer will reportedly earn $21million in 2020 following Thursday's announcement.

    The deal comes as the sign-sealing scandal engulfs the Astros – who sacked general manager Jeff Luhnow and manager A.J. Hinch.

    Luhnow and Hinch were fired after the duo were handed one-year suspensions following an MLB investigation into allegations of sign stealing.

    The Astros were fined $5m and forced to forfeit their first and second-round picks in the 2020 and 2021 drafts.

    In a statement, MLB commissioner Rob Manfred said the Astros were warned about the league's policies on sign stealing in September 2017 and "took no action" to comply with these during their run to a maiden World Series title later that season.

    Springer – a three-time All-Star and two-time Silver Slugger – was a key figure in Houston's triumphant season, crowned World Series MVP.

    The 30-year-old has called Houston home since he was drafted by the Astros in 2011, while he made his debut three years later.

  • Mets manager Carlos Beltran leaves before a single game amid sign-stealing scandal Mets manager Carlos Beltran leaves before a single game amid sign-stealing scandal

    New York Mets manager Carlos Beltran has left his post with the team before taking charge of a single game after he was named in MLB's findings from an investigation into sign stealing.

    The Houston Astros were the subject of the investigation from the league after they had initially been warned about sign-stealing policies in September 2017 ahead of their run to a maiden World Series title later that season.

    MLB commissioner Rob Manfred said the Astros "took no action" to comply with the policies after the league-wide warning, and general manager Jeff Luhnow and manager AJ Hinch were suspended before Houston sacked the pair.

    Boston Red Sox manager Alex Cora was also dismissed after he was named by Manfred, with Beltran, an Astros player at the time, becoming the latest to lose his job.

    Manfred revealed in his statement earlier this week: "Approximately two months into the 2017 season, a group of players, including Carlos Beltran, discussed that the team could improve on decoding opposing teams' signs and communicating the signs to the batter."

    The Mets announced Beltran's departure in a statement on Thursday.

    "We met with Carlos last night and again this morning and agreed to mutually part ways," chief operating officer Jeff Wilpon and executive vice president and general manager Brodie Van Wagenen said.

    "This was not an easy decision. Considering the circumstances, it became clear to all parties that it was not in anyone's best interest for Carlos to move forward as manager of the New York Mets.

    "We believe that Carlos was honest and forthcoming with us. We are confident that this will not be the final chapter in his baseball career.

    "We remain excited about the talent on this team and are committed to reaching our goals of winning now and in the future."

    Beltran added in his own statement released by the Mets: "At a meeting this morning with Jeff and Brodie, we mutually agreed to part ways.

    "I'm grateful to them for giving me the opportunity, but we agreed this decision is in the best interest of the team. I couldn't let myself be a distraction for the team.

    "I wish the entire organisation success in the future."

    Nine-time All-Star Beltran retired from playing after finally landing a first title with the Astros.

    The 42-year-old, who played for the Mets between 2005 and 2011, had only replaced Mickey Callaway as manager in November, signing a three-year contract with the option for another 12 months.

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.