MLB

CC Sabathia removed from Yankees' ALCS roster

By Sports Desk October 18, 2019

CC Sabathia has made his final appearance for the New York Yankees after the team confirmed they had removed the veteran pitcher from their roster.

Sabathia, who confirmed in February the 2019 MLB season would be his last, exited the Yankees' defeat to the Houston Astros on Thursday with a shoulder injury.

The 39-year-old pitcher has now been removed from the Yankee's roster for the remainder of the American League Championship Series (ALCS), having suffered a subluxation of his left shoulder joint.

Sabathia will be replaced by pitcher Ben Heller and is ineligible to return this postseason.

The home crowd gave Sabathia a standing ovation in what has now become his final appearance at Yankee Stadium.

Over his 19-year career with the Cleveland Indians, Milwaukee Brewers and Yankees, Sabathia posted a 251-161 regular-season and a 3.74 ERA.

Earlier this season, he became just the third left-handed pitcher in MLB history to record 3,000 strikeouts in their career.

Sabathia was a six-time All-Star and won the Cy Young Award in 2007 with Cleveland. He was named ALCS MVP in 2009 on the way to a World Series title with the Yankees.

Related items

  • Astros will be in World Series again – Altuve bullish after sign-stealing scandal Astros will be in World Series again – Altuve bullish after sign-stealing scandal

    Houston Astros star Jose Altuve is adamant the embattled franchise "will be fine" and will be in the World Series again after the sign-stealing scandal.

    The Astros sacked general manager Jeff Luhnow and manager A.J. Hinch after the duo were suspended following an MLB investigation into allegations of sign stealing.

    Luhnow and Hinch were given year-long bans by MLB while Houston were fined $5million and have been forced to forfeit their first and second-round picks in the 2020 and 2021 drafts.

    In a statement, MLB commissioner Rob Manfred said the Astros were warned about the league's policies on sign stealing in September 2017 and "took no action" to comply with these during their run to a maiden World Series title later that season.

    But on Saturday, 2017 American League MVP Altuve told reporters: "Believe me, in the end of the year, everything will be fine.

    "We're going to be in the World Series again. People don't believe it, we will. We will. We made it last year, we were one game away of winning it all."

    Altuve – a six-time All-Star and 2015 Gold Glove winner – added: "I have two options. One is cry, and one is go down and play the game and [perform] and help my team. And you know what one I am going to do."

    "It's a tough situation, and as a team, we have to stay together and go through this as a team like we've been doing, always," added five-time Silver Slugger Altuve.

    "We have to talk about it at spring training and try not to let things in the past distract us for next year."

     

  • Giants hire Nakken as MLB's first full-time female coach Giants hire Nakken as MLB's first full-time female coach

    The San Francisco Giants have hired Alyssa Nakken to their coaching staff, making her the first full-time coach in MLB history.

    A former Sacramento State softball player, Nakken was hired along with Mark Hallberg by new Giants manager Gabe Kapler on Thursday.

    "In every organisation, environment affects performance, and baseball clubhouses are no different," Kapler said in a release. 

    "That's why in addition to assisting the rest of the coaching staff on the field, Mark and Alyssa will focus on fostering a clubhouse culture that promotes high performance through, among other attributes, a deep sense of collaboration and team."

    Nakken will hope to help the Giants bounce back from a disappointing 2019 season in which they finished 77-85.

    Kapler took over from Bruce Bochy, who led the Giants to three World Series titles in five years from 2010-2014, in November.

  • Springer, Astros settle on one-year deal Springer, Astros settle on one-year deal

    George Springer and the tainted Houston Astros avoided arbitration by settling on a one-year deal.

    Astros star Springer will reportedly earn $21million in 2020 following Thursday's announcement.

    The deal comes as the sign-sealing scandal engulfs the Astros – who sacked general manager Jeff Luhnow and manager A.J. Hinch.

    Luhnow and Hinch were fired after the duo were handed one-year suspensions following an MLB investigation into allegations of sign stealing.

    The Astros were fined $5m and forced to forfeit their first and second-round picks in the 2020 and 2021 drafts.

    In a statement, MLB commissioner Rob Manfred said the Astros were warned about the league's policies on sign stealing in September 2017 and "took no action" to comply with these during their run to a maiden World Series title later that season.

    Springer – a three-time All-Star and two-time Silver Slugger – was a key figure in Houston's triumphant season, crowned World Series MVP.

    The 30-year-old has called Houston home since he was drafted by the Astros in 2011, while he made his debut three years later.

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.