Coronavirus: Logical for Real Madrid players to take pay cut – Kroos says he was misunderstood

By Sports Desk April 09, 2020

Real Madrid star Toni Kroos said it was logical for players and coaches to take a pay cut amid the coronavirus pandemic.

Madrid announced that players and coaches from their football and basketball squads agreed to reduction in wages on Wednesday, with LaLiga and professional sport in Spain on hold due to COVID-19.

Directors at Madrid also accepted to voluntary reductions in pay for 2019-20 – the pay cuts will be between 10 and 20 per cent "depending on the circumstances that may affect the closing of the 2019-20 season", the club said in a statement.

Prior to the midweek announcement, Kroos had stated he was not in favour of pay cuts amid financial concerns but the Germany international explained his comments.

"It is possible that it [the interview] has not been translated correctly or that some do not want to understand," Kroos wrote via Twitter.

"From the first moment, my opinion, you know me well, is this: if we can help the workers and areas of the club, I see it as logical to renounce part of our salary, something that could be proven today."

In an interview with SWR Sport podcast on Tuesday, Madrid midfielder Kroos said: "Cutting salaries is like a donation in vain – or for the club.

"I am in favour of paying the full salary and let everyone do sensible things with it. Everyone is being asked to help where necessary, and there are many places where it is necessary."

Related items

  • Griezmann: It'll be strange to play behind closed doors Griezmann: It'll be strange to play behind closed doors

    Barcelona forward Antoine Griezmann admitted it would be "very strange" to play behind closed doors.

    The LaLiga leaders will resume their season with a trip to Mallorca on June 13 amid the coronavirus pandemic, which led to the campaign being suspended in March.

    Griezmann said there was no doubt it would be unusual to play with no fans in attendance due to COVID-19.

    "The first game will be in Mallorca, but it will be very strange to play without an audience," he said during a conversation on Twitch on Thursday.

    "It will be the first time I have experienced something like this."

    With 11 games left to play in LaLiga, Barcelona hold a two-point lead over rivals Real Madrid.

    Griezmann, who has scored 14 goals in 37 games this season, said he made the most of family time during the suspension of the campaign.

    "I had never been so long stopped," he said.

    "Yes, it is true that during these days I was able to enjoy my children."

  • Retired Reggae Boy King full of regret for rowdy past - Turns over new leaf in Zambia Retired Reggae Boy King full of regret for rowdy past - Turns over new leaf in Zambia

    Retired Jamaica international Marlon King recently expressed regret about a checkered and sordid past but insists he can only face up to it and admit his mistakes.

    During his time as a footballer, King had his fair share of headlines on the pitch, but they were routinely dwarfed by legal issues that occurred off it. The former Watford and Birmingham striker has three separate jail sentences and a litany of other offenses, which include theft, criminal damage, fraudulent use of vehicle license document, driving without insurance and drink driving.  But even by those standards, the sexual and physical assault of a young woman who rejected his advances at a nightclub in the Soho area of London was a low point.

    The 2009 sexual assault case saw King's playing contract cancelled by then club Wigan, after he was convicted of groping the woman in a bar and then breaking her nose. Since then, the former player has moved to Zambia with his wife and three children and admits he is genuinely remorseful about his past.

    “I’m sorry for what happened, especially to the young lady and to my family members for letting them down. But I’m at a point now where I can look back and think, ‘Jesus Christ. Some of the decisions I made’,” King said in an interview with The Athletic
    .“I can’t get back what I did. That’s the thing. I can’t go back,” King said.
    “Everything I’ve done is public knowledge. I can’t run away from it, so I can’t sit here and say, ‘No, I did this. I did that’. It has taken me years to try and figure myself out and work on myself.

    “I cannot change what comes up on Google. I cannot change my path.

    King has been eager to point out that these days he is a changed man.
    "There’s no justification behind any wrongdoings. But my mental mindset right now could not be further from those incidents and those things. Even up to now, I’m finding speaking about issues that I had is therapeutic for me and I think is something I encourage everyone to do in all walks of life, because it helps.

    “If you keep things in emotionally, it just builds up and you explode because everybody’s got a limit that they can take. And we give it the ego, ‘I’m alright, Jack, no, we’re OK’ and I think that’s a lot of what I did. I had a lot of things going on, off the pitch. I can openly say I’m one of those people that needed to talk."
    King made 24 appearances and scored 12 goals for Jamaica’s national team. 


     

  • NHL reveals more details on Stanley Cup playoffs NHL reveals more details on Stanley Cup playoffs

    The NHL has unveiled additional details for its plan to resume play after entering an indefinite hiatus in March due to the coronavirus pandemic.  

    The league's press release on Thursday indicated that the “qualifying-round” series will be best-of-five, while all traditional playoff rounds will remain best-of-seven.  

    With neutral-site games and empty seats removing home-ice advantage, the league will have the highest remaining seed play the lowest in playoff rounds, breaking from the firm bracket format.  

    The league also announced that it will break ties in the round-robin phase by regular season points percentage.  

    The details provide additional clarification on the NHL's plan for the Stanley Cup playoffs, which were announced last Tuesday.  

    In the outlined plan, the teams with the top four records in each conference will play in a round robin to determine seeds number 1-4.  

    The next eight teams in each conference will then play a qualifying round of best-of-five series to narrow the playoff field to its typical 16 teams.  

    While the NHL has yet to set a definitive start date, the league is expected to begin training camps in the first half of next month.  

    Games will take place without fans in two of 10 possible hub cities – seven in the United States and three in Canada.  

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.