Coronavirus: Football must resume 'for sporting and economic reasons' - Rummenigge

By Sports Desk April 09, 2020

Bayern Munich chief executive Karl-Heinz Rummenigge believes it is imperative the Bundesliga resumes when possible for financial and sporting reasons.

Like most competitions around the world, the Bundesliga has been suspended in an effort to limit the impact of coronavirus.

However, it would appear Germany's top flight is closer to returning than other leagues as most teams have already resumed training in small groups, with games set to take place behind closed doors in early May.

There have been fears that some leagues may have to be scrapped entirely if they cannot be concluded in the coming weeks, yet Rummenigge is vehemently against that notion.

"We know that it is necessary to start again for two reasons," he told Corriere dello Sport. 

"The first is the sports one. You have to assign the title, know which team will participate in the cups, who will be demoted. 

"The second, no less important, is economic. Here the televisions that broadcast the games have a strong impact on revenues."

To help lessen the financial impact, Bayern and Germany's three other Champions League representatives in 2019-20 - Borussia Dortmund, RB Leipzig and Bayer Leverkusen - have all pledged €20million to Bundesliga and 2.Bundesliga clubs.

Rummenigge warned such collaborations will be necessary across the game after a decade of big spending.

"For 10 years, football has lived beyond its means and the clubs have taken all the risks," he added.

"In such a difficult moment, balance sheets do not count as much as cash.

"The crisis is global, the solution must be shared. The field can limit the damage. FIFA and UEFA must improve their relations and act economically."

Related items

  • Retired Reggae Boy King full of regret for rowdy past - Turns over new leaf in Zambia Retired Reggae Boy King full of regret for rowdy past - Turns over new leaf in Zambia

    Retired Jamaica international Marlon King recently expressed regret about a checkered and sordid past but insists he can only face up to it and admit his mistakes.

    During his time as a footballer, King had his fair share of headlines on the pitch, but they were routinely dwarfed by legal issues that occurred off it. The former Watford and Birmingham striker has three separate jail sentences and a litany of other offenses, which include theft, criminal damage, fraudulent use of vehicle license document, driving without insurance and drink driving.  But even by those standards, the sexual and physical assault of a young woman who rejected his advances at a nightclub in the Soho area of London was a low point.

    The 2009 sexual assault case saw King's playing contract cancelled by then club Wigan, after he was convicted of groping the woman in a bar and then breaking her nose. Since then, the former player has moved to Zambia with his wife and three children and admits he is genuinely remorseful about his past.

    “I’m sorry for what happened, especially to the young lady and to my family members for letting them down. But I’m at a point now where I can look back and think, ‘Jesus Christ. Some of the decisions I made’,” King said in an interview with The Athletic
    .“I can’t get back what I did. That’s the thing. I can’t go back,” King said.
    “Everything I’ve done is public knowledge. I can’t run away from it, so I can’t sit here and say, ‘No, I did this. I did that’. It has taken me years to try and figure myself out and work on myself.

    “I cannot change what comes up on Google. I cannot change my path.

    King has been eager to point out that these days he is a changed man.
    "There’s no justification behind any wrongdoings. But my mental mindset right now could not be further from those incidents and those things. Even up to now, I’m finding speaking about issues that I had is therapeutic for me and I think is something I encourage everyone to do in all walks of life, because it helps.

    “If you keep things in emotionally, it just builds up and you explode because everybody’s got a limit that they can take. And we give it the ego, ‘I’m alright, Jack, no, we’re OK’ and I think that’s a lot of what I did. I had a lot of things going on, off the pitch. I can openly say I’m one of those people that needed to talk."
    King made 24 appearances and scored 12 goals for Jamaica’s national team. 


     

  • Diego Costa fined for tax fraud Diego Costa fined for tax fraud

    Diego Costa has been fined €543,208 for tax fraud but will not serve any of his six-month prison sentence, as is customary under Spanish law.

    Atletico Madrid striker Costa appeared at court in the capital on Thursday, wearing a protective face mask, and entered a guilty plea.

    The charges related to the image rights arrangements made on Costa's behalf when he moved from Atleti to Chelsea in 2014.

    He was found to have evaded €1.1million in taxes, which the 31-year-old repaid in full last year.

    The Prosecutor's Office recommended a six-month prison sentence and a fine of €507,208.

    Spain's legal system allows for non-violent crimes carrying a jail term of under two years to be replaced by a fine and, under this provision, Costa will pay an additional €36,000 - calculated as a 12-month fine at €100 per day.

    "Diego Costa reached an agreement with the Prosecutor's Office months ago and has already paid the corresponding fine plus interest," said an Atletico spokesman in a statement reported by Mundo Deportivo. 

    "The request for a prison sentence was withdrawn."

    Lionel Messi, Cristiano Ronaldo, Luka Modric and Javier Mascherano are among the star footballers to have breached tax laws in Spain over recent years.

  • Zorc calls for criticism of Sancho to stop as he praises George Floyd demonstration Zorc calls for criticism of Sancho to stop as he praises George Floyd demonstration

    Michael Zorc has admonished Jadon Sancho for breaching coronavirus rules, but the Borussia Dortmund sporting director wants criticism of the forward to cease as he praised his George Floyd demonstration.

    In photographs published by Bild on Wednesday, Sancho was one of six Dortmund players not wearing a mask while they received haircuts from barber Winnie Nana Karkari at their homes.

    That led to a reproach from Zorc, given the German Football League's (DFL) coronavirus protocol says players should have no contact with the public, remain at home and receive no visitors because of the pandemic.

    However, Zorc also thinks Sancho's act at the weekend - when he revealed a "justice for George Floyd" t-shirt after scoring against Paderborn - should earn him greater respect.

    On the same day the haircut photos were revealed, the German Football Association (DFB) said it would not punish Sancho and others for "actions of anti-racism", which came after Floyd died in police custody in the United States last week.

    "I think it's splendid that the DFB president who sits at the very top wonders about this matter, is flexible and takes current events into consideration," Zorc told reporters.

    "I don't know in what terms you can look at what the guys did as a political message. It was about humanity, justice and a clear message against racism. How many campaigns have we done together with DFB on this matter?

    "Maybe it's about time to put away the criticism which Jadon Sancho often receives, as he was one of the first who have actually made a stand and showed a clear sign against racism in the match against Paderborn."

    In the Bild report, it was also suggested Sancho flew back to England earlier in the lockdown period.

    He only came off the bench in Dortmund's first three games back after the break due to a calf injury before marking his return to the starting line-up with a hat-trick against Paderborn.

    "To our knowledge Jadon has been in Dortmund for weeks," Zorc added. 

    "I even read that we have put him into a two-week long quarantine and faked an injury. I can only say that is completely wrong.

    "Jadon has had a calf injury for weeks, which is why he could not participate in training."

    On what he said to Sancho regarding the haircut, Zorc added: "We have spoken to both the hairdresser and the player.

    "Both have ensured us that the measures of hygiene have been respected at all times. They even wore a protection shield and gloves, which were only taken off for the picture.

    "Obviously this is not right. We have made that clear once again to the players.

    "In this special situation that we are all in due to COVID-19 it is not just the duty of the coaches to keep an eye on discipline. The whole club needs to do that, this includes the board.

    "We have spoken to the players in the past. Also with Jadon. We must not forget Jadon is still a very young player, testing his boundaries.

    "I don't think I'm accused of protecting him all the time, as I have sanctioned him when there have been misconducts from his side."

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.