Coronavirus: Pro League pushes back meeting to decide fate of 2019-20 season

By Sports Desk April 09, 2020

Belgium's Pro League have pushed back the date for a meeting to decide whether or not the 2019-20 season should be cancelled.

Last week, organisers recommended rendering the season void, with the coronavirus pandemic having seen all but a handful of sporting competitions across the world put on hold.

The unprecedented move would have seen Club Brugge declared champions and Waasland-Beveren relegated.

UEFA later insisted that any such decision was premature and that cancelling the whole campaign must be seen as "a last resort" by all member associations.

A Pro League general assembly had been called for April 15 to discuss the findings of a working group tasked with assessing the sporting and financial implications of declaring the season over.

However, a statement on Thursday confirmed the assembly has been delayed until April 24, when all Pro League clubs will be invited to attend.

"The members of the working group appointed by the board of directors are now continuing their duties," the statement added.

Related items

  • Retired Reggae Boy King full of regret for rowdy past - Turns over new leaf in Zambia Retired Reggae Boy King full of regret for rowdy past - Turns over new leaf in Zambia

    Retired Jamaica international Marlon King recently expressed regret about a checkered and sordid past but insists he can only face up to it and admit his mistakes.

    During his time as a footballer, King had his fair share of headlines on the pitch, but they were routinely dwarfed by legal issues that occurred off it. The former Watford and Birmingham striker has three separate jail sentences and a litany of other offenses, which include theft, criminal damage, fraudulent use of vehicle license document, driving without insurance and drink driving.  But even by those standards, the sexual and physical assault of a young woman who rejected his advances at a nightclub in the Soho area of London was a low point.

    The 2009 sexual assault case saw King's playing contract cancelled by then club Wigan, after he was convicted of groping the woman in a bar and then breaking her nose. Since then, the former player has moved to Zambia with his wife and three children and admits he is genuinely remorseful about his past.

    “I’m sorry for what happened, especially to the young lady and to my family members for letting them down. But I’m at a point now where I can look back and think, ‘Jesus Christ. Some of the decisions I made’,” King said in an interview with The Athletic
    .“I can’t get back what I did. That’s the thing. I can’t go back,” King said.
    “Everything I’ve done is public knowledge. I can’t run away from it, so I can’t sit here and say, ‘No, I did this. I did that’. It has taken me years to try and figure myself out and work on myself.

    “I cannot change what comes up on Google. I cannot change my path.

    King has been eager to point out that these days he is a changed man.
    "There’s no justification behind any wrongdoings. But my mental mindset right now could not be further from those incidents and those things. Even up to now, I’m finding speaking about issues that I had is therapeutic for me and I think is something I encourage everyone to do in all walks of life, because it helps.

    “If you keep things in emotionally, it just builds up and you explode because everybody’s got a limit that they can take. And we give it the ego, ‘I’m alright, Jack, no, we’re OK’ and I think that’s a lot of what I did. I had a lot of things going on, off the pitch. I can openly say I’m one of those people that needed to talk."
    King made 24 appearances and scored 12 goals for Jamaica’s national team. 


     

  • NHL reveals more details on Stanley Cup playoffs NHL reveals more details on Stanley Cup playoffs

    The NHL has unveiled additional details for its plan to resume play after entering an indefinite hiatus in March due to the coronavirus pandemic.  

    The league's press release on Thursday indicated that the “qualifying-round” series will be best-of-five, while all traditional playoff rounds will remain best-of-seven.  

    With neutral-site games and empty seats removing home-ice advantage, the league will have the highest remaining seed play the lowest in playoff rounds, breaking from the firm bracket format.  

    The league also announced that it will break ties in the round-robin phase by regular season points percentage.  

    The details provide additional clarification on the NHL's plan for the Stanley Cup playoffs, which were announced last Tuesday.  

    In the outlined plan, the teams with the top four records in each conference will play in a round robin to determine seeds number 1-4.  

    The next eight teams in each conference will then play a qualifying round of best-of-five series to narrow the playoff field to its typical 16 teams.  

    While the NHL has yet to set a definitive start date, the league is expected to begin training camps in the first half of next month.  

    Games will take place without fans in two of 10 possible hub cities – seven in the United States and three in Canada.  

  • NBA approves 22-team season restart NBA approves 22-team season restart

    The NBA has confirmed plans for 22 teams to restart the 2019-20 season, with a tentative resumption date of July 31.

    Teams are set to stay at Walt Disney World Resort near Orlando, Florida and have all their games and practices on the campus after the NBA's Board of Governors approved proposals for a restart from the coronavirus-enforced break.

    The 22 teams due to head to Florida are the 16 teams that occupied the playoff berths when the season was halted in March, along with the six teams that are within six games of the eighth and final seeds in the Eastern and Western Conferences.

    It means the season is over for the Charlotte Hornets, Chicago Bulls, New York Knicks, Detroit Pistons, Atlanta Hawks, Cleveland Cavaliers, Minnesota Timberwolves and Golden State Warriors.

    Each of the remaining 22 teams are set to play eight games to determine the 16 that will advance to the playoffs.

    Under the proposals, the NBA Finals would end no later than October 12, three days before the 2020 NBA Draft is set to take place, and two months before the 2020-21 campaign begins.

    The league was suspended in March after Utah Jazz star Rudy Gobert tested positive for COVID-19.

    In a statement, NBA commissioner Adam Silver said: "The board's approval of the restart format is a necessary step toward resuming the NBA season.

    "While the COVID-19 pandemic presents formidable challenges, we are hopeful of finishing the season in a safe and responsible manner based on strict protocols now being finalised with public health officials and medical experts. 

    "We also recognise that as we prepare to resume play, our society is reeling from recent tragedies of racial violence and injustice, and we will continue to work closely with our teams and players to use our collective resources and influence to address these issues in very real and concrete ways."

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.